Red sea nitrate phosphate test kit

I use the Red Sea Pro nitrate test kit and like it.
It's very easy to use. You have two vials, fill one with tank water and put it on the outside hole of the spinning wheel. Fill the other one with tank water and add the reagents according to the instructions. Once done, put it in the inside hole. You spin the wheel so that the first vial goes through many color pallets until it matches as close as possible to the second vial.

I also use and like these kits for nitrates and phosphates. Sometimes, at least at lower phosphate levels, the colors can be tough (for me) to read exactly.

Butvfor high range when u diluate the water i only get a reading around 4 ppm but how do you read the chart that say low range color disc in middle and high range

I have also been struggling with matching the colors- also if my nitrates are 4+ isn't this not good? I am getting so confused about this!

Mandy,
Nitrate of 4ppm is nothing bad. It's actually pretty low and you have nothing to worry about. I've kept my Nitrate at 20ppm before. A little bit of nitrate of phosphate(<0.10) is normal.
Any test that uses color matching is a guesstimation. The red sea pro kit though, has a "standard" part and a little bit easier to guess the number.

Back