Reefkeeper Elite vs. Neptune Apex?

hurdbird

BRS Member
I have heard really good things about both of them. I am slightly leaning towards the Apex because of friends reviews. Please help me make the right decision here haha. Pretty big purchase and I want to make sure I am going to get one that lasts me a while and does what I need. Thanks in advance.

Sean

+1 on the apex.....the iphone app is worth it! plus I've heard that with the RKE, there isn't much support - for instance the Apex has an unofficial user guide floating around that is really solid.

I use the RKL for past 2 years or so and will be expanding soon. It has been working well since original purchase. Although I have read it is possible, I have not even tried to synchronize with home PC for instant monitoring. I am happy to have it simply closely regulating my heaters and CL (wave maker)

dont know much about the apex but i have the elite and i could not live with out it..........

Thanks for the help. Any idea if the Apex has apps for other smart phones besides the Iphone?

Sean

Should have been more clear. I have a Sprint HTC Evo 4g. I could probably run the android one on my phone but I'm not completely sure. If anyone has heard of them besides droid and iphone please chime in. Thanks.

Sean

good link matt. this app is brand new and i went with the iphone over an android because there was no app at the time.

I have a RKL expanded to its max capabilities. 2 pc4, sl2,net. If you get the net module they have an android app and an iphone app for it. I hear the iphone app is in progress for new features but android supports outlet control and graphing. I also have their myreef control software on a laptop that is always connected to the system via vnc/remote desktop so i can modify anything anywhere.

As for Customer Support. The forums are pretty decent. Usually someone has already run into the problem and or knows how to fix. Their email support is ok. I have had to contact them several times and they will usually respond within a day. I believe their support has gotten better recently. From the horror stories i have heard they must have improved staffing within the year to handle flow of people.

Product quality wise its ok not great. I have had 1 RMA item so far and a few items that have needed to be re-flashed due to firmware issues over time. I have no comparison with neptune products but from word of mouth i would assume they have a bit higher quality.

Bottom Line for me. If you cant afford to spend $500 in one wack the Digital Aquatics is a decent options as can buy things as you need them. In the end i think i spent more buying components individually but my pocket is tricked into feeling better.
Neptune From what i researched is a better package. They have been around longer and have a better communication/web/control system in place. If i could have afforded to buy all in one wack i would have probably went through an apex elite.

I had the RKL and the AC Jr and decided to go with the APEX. It's far more than what I expected, there's so many ways you can program and control it. I use my android phone to control all the outlets. Customer support is top notch. I called them to ask for some help setting it up online and I got answered right away and spent almost 2 hours with the guy on the phone. The next day he called me back to make sure everything was working fine.

Upcoming Events

June 9, 2024
Ben Johnson
Club Meeting

Back