Revisit the cheap salt vs expensive salt

Thanks, Dong. As you know, on your advice after major calcification problems, I switched from red sea coral pro to instant ocean. I have mostly anecdotal experience but it is similar. I have had to dose more trace elements to keep them up but that may be because of general coral growth. The only unambiguous change is magnesium. With rcp I never dosed magnesium and always had +1400ppm Triton reports. With IO my magnesium dropped to low 1200s and I need to dose quite alot (20ml/day of BRS mix wasn't enough and I'm now dosing 60). It's not a big deal and I still save massively. My corals improved enormously but I don't think that has anything to do with the salt. If you have the same basic chemical parameters, it's hard for me to imagine what in the salt would lead to better or worse performance.
By the way, I find testing magnesium very difficult. Using salifert I got 1400 on the same water I sent to Triton which reported 1273. Does anyone have advice on testing magnesium?

Thanks, Dong. As you know, on your advice after major calcification problems, I switched from red sea coral pro to instant ocean. I have mostly anecdotal experience but it is similar. I have had to dose more trace elements to keep them up but that may be because of general coral growth. The only unambiguous change is magnesium. With rcp I never dosed magnesium and always had +1400ppm Triton reports. With IO my magnesium dropped to low 1200s and I need to dose quite alot (20ml/day of BRS mix wasn't enough and I'm now dosing 60). It's not a big deal and I still save massively. My corals improved enormously but I don't think that has anything to do with the salt. If you have the same basic chemical parameters, it's hard for me to imagine what in the salt would lead to better or worse performance.
By the way, I find testing magnesium very difficult. Using salifert I got 1400 on the same water I sent to Triton which reported 1273. Does anyone have advice on testing magnesium?
I always struggle with this. I run the trident and it may say 1390 but aquaforest test says 1450 and red sea says 1500. I am always leary about adding when trident says below 1400.

So I'm I just wasting my money? I use All-For-Reef along side with tropic Marin pro salt. I wonder if I should change salt and just continuing using All-For-Reef with instant ocean?

By the way, I find testing magnesium very difficult. Using salifert I got 1400 on the same water I sent to Triton which reported 1273. Does anyone have advice on testing
Magnesium at 1273 is no difference at 1400, as magnesium test kit has about 10% error, so these two numbers basically the same.
As you say, theoretically salt should not have a huge impact these days unless something wrong with some batches. Alkalinity is a buffering capacity of the water, it is a indicator for bicarbonate and carbonate concentrations in the sea water, which coral uses to build skeleton (Coral takes in bicarbonate instead of carbonate). One study showed that alkalinity, when in range from 7.5 to 14, is somewhat linked to coral growth but the study was limited to several types of fast growing sps. Other factors such as bacteria, micro organisms in the water as food source, lighting etc have more impact on coral growth. Also some study shows that alkalinity can be at a large range and as high as 14, has no impact on coral.

Last edited:
I always struggle with this. I run the trident and it may say 1390 but aquaforest test says 1450 and red sea says 1500. I am always leary about adding when trident says below 1400.
Magnesium level is not that critical as it is a catalyst for coral calcification. The proteins for calcification latches on magnesium and change its shape then calcification happens, after the calcium carbonate is deposited, the proteins will release the magnesium back in the water. But about 1 to 5% of magnesium will trapped or deposited as magnesium carbonate in coral skeleton. So the lost of magnesium in the water happens. As long as magnesium is sufficient in water (say over 1100 or 1200 ppm), there is not much difference.

So I'm I just wasting my money? I use All-For-Reef along side with tropic Marin pro salt. I wonder if I should change salt and just continuing using All-For-Reef with instant ocean?
Yes you can use any major brands of salt with All-for-Reef.
All-for-Reef is calcium formate, it requires bacteria to metabolize the formate part of the molecule to carbon dioxide then becomes carbonates in water, which is not as direct as two parts dosing.

One interesting thing after some digging around online, I was surprised by some information on salt manufacturers. Normally I would assume a major salt manufacturer would have their own shiny factories that produce high quality products exclusively. But it seems not always the case. That is all I want to say.

One interesting thing after some digging around online, I was surprised by some information on salt manufacturers. Normally I would assume a major salt manufacturer would have their own shiny factories that produce high quality products exclusively. But it seems not always the case. That is all I want to say.
Just like car batteries Dong, 59 variations, 2 factories!

So they are going to give me a return label to ship back. Ill be ordering IO today. If I'm using All-For-Reef should go with IO Reef or just reg IO

Hey dong what's take on all this from a person who understands the make up what's in all these salts. Two, I had to read and your mag description. Soooo my takeaway on mag is stop chasing mag number if it's above that point. Totally over my head. But I'm rereading. Thanks dong.

Yes, you are correct that there is no reason to chase Magnesium level. As long as it is around 1200 to 1400ppm, there is no need to worry about it.

I switched to IO reef crystals a long time ago. I don't do ICP tests regularly, but when I do the results are always fine.

Back