RODI water questions

maurod

Non-member
I have been giving water to a young reefer in the group for free.

At any given time, I have 25 gallons of RODI on hand.

I was wondering if others do this type of thing or offer to sell water to others that need it and dont have RODI available. What is a reasonable amount to charge?

M.

I guess it would depend on how much water the person needs in relation to how much you needed yourself. Instead of charging them for water, maybe ask them to buy your next set of replacement filters?

I feel that there's no real reasonable amount to charge for small amounts of water among members. The actual cost to you of producing an extra 10, 20, even 100 gallons is, I'm sure, pennies. Even when you amortize your filters and account for 4x rejection ratio of city water, it can't amount to much considering that you get a year, and probably 1,000 gallons of product water from a set of filters, and many thousands from a membrane.

On the other hand, LFS charge about $0.20 per gallon, so if you wanted a benchmark, you could go on that rate, and maybe discount from there, but personally I don't find it worth it.

aqua addicts: $0.20/gallon
skiptons: $0.50/gallon
tropic isle: $1.00/gallon

i've only purchased from the first two, and i've never tested it, which seems kind of stupid, but i havn't.

finally picked up my own catalytic carbon RODI sunday, but i haven't hooked it up yet.

besides using a TDS meter what other tests do people do on their RODI water to ensure it's 'clean'?

If there was a close LFS with 0.20 gallons I would just buy from them. My unit is so slow, it makes it more of a hassle. I need to get a 100gpd unit....And I only need 15 gallons a week...

So, in closing - if anyone needs water. It's yours for the taking ;) Just bring a beer. (one is plenty)

M.

i get charged $0.50/gallon for the plain RODI.

i was told that the premixed was done with regular Tropic Marin, not the PRO and is priced at $1.00.

maybe it's changed...idunno.

theLIQUIDzoo said:
i get charged $0.50/gallon for the plain RODI.

i was told that the premixed was done with regular Tropic Marin, not the PRO and is priced at $1.00.

maybe it's changed...idunno.

I have been told the same w/regard to pricing and the regular TM.

Mini4x said:
IIRC, the $0.50 price at skiptons was pre-mix SW (Tropic Marin Pro) not RO-DI water.

Ok I guess I was having a brain cramp.. been awhile since i was down there, coulda sworn it was cheaper...

Back