Soda ash not raising alkalinity

AC545

BRS Member
Been dosing soda ash for 4 days with a pump. I’m dosing 10 ml every hour into a high flow area of the tank. My dkh is stuck at 6. All other parameters are fine. What am I missing?

Mixed reef small LPS and SPS
75 gallon

Keep dosing and it will eventually increase. If your alk has been at 6 or lower, your tank was at a deficit and it’s probably being used by the corals/rocks pretty quickly, but it should level out soon.

Some questions: what test kit are you using? What brand of soda ash, do you mix it in fresh RODI water? What pump are you using + are you sure it’s actually dosing? Do you dose anything else besides soda ash?

I’m using BRS dry soda ash and mixing it in fresh RODI. I’m using a Jebao pump and I’ve watched it dose several times right on schedule (every hour). The pump is doing right next to my most powerful Powerhead. The solution shows white flakes for a moment and quickly dissipated. I use a Salifert test kit and am confident in it. The crappy fish store test also shows the same reading. I am not doing anything else.

How old is the tank? Do you have a sand bed? How heavily stocked is your reef?

Quick math: at 75 gal volume, 1 dkH = 53mL of BRS soda ash. At 10ml/hr that is 240ml/day which is A LOT to start dosing all at once. Currently you are dosing nearly 5 dkH of alkalinity to your tank per day. Moderately stocked mature SPS aquariums will use 2-3 dkH a day.

I recommend you to stop dosing and switch to something like sodium bicarbonate. The high pH of the soda ash is likely causing precipitation events in your aquarium.

Tank is 7 months old
Yes I have a sand band
I have about 10 lps/SPS frags/small colonies and 10 fish

I recommend you stir your sand bed to check if it is calcifying. If it is turning to rock, that is where the soda ash is going.

What was your daily alkalinity consumption prior to using soda ash? With such a young tank, I would expect alkalinity consumption to be < 1dkH per day.

Do you trend pH with a controller/monitor? What is your daily peak pH after starting to dose soda ash?

What is your calcium level? Is it also dropping?

What is your magnesium level? Goal is to maintain it in a 3:1 ratio with calcium. Higher magnesium allows for greater alkalinity/calcium levels.

I have personally overfed Soda Ash before in a new tank. PH was sky high, alkalinity and calcium kept dropping no matter what I did. I was dosing 150ml/day in 55 gal of water. My sand bed quickly turned to rock.

If you don’t have another alkalinity source on hand, I recommend dropping your feed to approximately 30ml/day and monitor alkalinity.

Just tested
pH is 8.1
Calcium is 420

I don’t have a monitoring system. Sand isn’t hard at all. I also don’t have a way to test magnesium yet, I usually get it done at my LFS.

It’s worth noting I just added three SPS frags and just before that is when I started to loose alk.

As Dong suggested I plan on checking the pump and seeing if it dosing the correct amount next.

7096264B-3F0D-4D91-940E-AEB5FB4E7C27.jpeg

15B4D91B-C520-48B9-B0F6-553095338494.jpeg
73BE62AD-FBA3-4941-A4D2-4D03ADB53C4E.jpeg
1EE54FD8-75A5-4A22-A517-03C8850D3E27.jpeg
22C7A32C-2EC4-4A25-9563-F8DC144FCF10.jpeg
9B61309B-958D-4D97-81F6-36BAC9743E5B.jpeg

I would try manually dosing. This happened to me before and my doser wasn't dosing the correct amount.

Are you dosing alk and CA at the same time? They should be separate

I would dose according to brs site calculator and retest a few hours later. If you see no change then something is wrong with your testing take a sample to a fis store to test

PH and DKH/ALK are two different things and can be controlled separately to a degree. For instants I have soda ash connected to the air inlet of my skimmer and adjust fresh air to soda ash with valves to control my PH. Then I had baking soda to my RO top off to control my DKH/ALK. 1 tablespoon to 5 gallons of RODI water.

Had a similar issue and my sand bed was calcifying under my rocks. Switched to baking soda using Randy’s method and that took care of my issues.

Last edited:
PH and DKH/ALK are two different things and can be controlled separately to a degree. For instants I have soda ash connected to the air inlet of my skimmer and adjust fresh air to soda ash with valves to control my PH. Then I had baking soda to my RO top off to control my DKH/ALK. 1 tablespoon to 5 gallons of RODI water.
Soda ash is Calcium Sodium Carbonate and will absolutely increase alkalinity. You can easily make soda ash by heating Sodium Bicarbonate (baking soda) to drive off all the water.

While alkalinity and pH differ, the buffers we use increase both.

Last edited:
Soda ash is Calcium Carbonate and will absolutely increase alkalinity. You can easily make soda ash by heating Sodium Bicarbonate (baking soda) to drive off all the water.

While alkalinity and pH differ, the buffers we use increase both.
You mean Soda Ash is Sodium Carbonate right.

UPDATE:

Bumped my dosing to 15 ml per hour 6 days ago. Current dKh of 8.9

Back