sps dieing, some zoas closed, some lps fine?

JasonandRay

Non-member
everything seems pissed off :mad:
It all started about a month and a half ago, I went on vacation then to comeback and find my clown M.I.A. :( no where to be found. Then last week i notice my GSP closed and developing hair algae on the its purple mat :confused: GSP closed defiantly seemed a little off, then i noticed coraline bleaching. So i though well maybe my test kits are off because all my levels seemed Okay. I do have a new person who cleans my house so maybe shes cleaning around the tank and causing cleaning fluid to go air borne and go in my tank. The only corals that look fine are my acan, birdsnest, and some zoas.
Ive been doing frequent water changes. Im going to Tropic isle and get all my levels tested.

Last edited:
Good question. I don't let any cleaners or scents near my tank. My girlfriend spraying perfume in my room once and I flipped and yelled at her, lmao. Poor thing.

Clown MIA?
Have you tested the tank for ammonia incase the clown expired and is behind the rocks?

Check the temp out as well.That's something that can get missed sometimes.
What has me puzzled is why would gsp have HA grow on it?

the ammonia in cleaning products that would get into your tank is probably negligible, its the surfectants that will cause the harm, and you cant really test for those.

what are your okay levels and where were they before?

What are your paramiters?

Do a few large water changes to the tank and add carbon.

I had the same problem because I changed my lights, move the tank to a new place and my patamiters were not stable.

Have you changed anything recently? The only thing I could think of is something falling into the tank.

Water changes and carbon

nothing changed. prams where
calc: 360
alk: 9
mag: 1350
trates: 5-10ish
ammonia: 0?
temp 78
salinity 1.025

nitrite levels (not nitrate)?

phosphate level?

i'm thinking the dead fish caused a spike and now you have nutrient issues, as evidenced by the hair algae.
water changes and carbon - stat! :p

nitrite levels (not nitrate)?

phosphate level?

i'm thinking the dead fish caused a spike and now you have nutrient issues, as evidenced by the hair algae.
water changes and carbon - stat! :p

:cool: ive been doing 5 gallons a day.
ill get a more professional test results later :p

Last edited:
The guy at tropic isle said that my calc levels where off the charts(over 1100) and explained it as a chemical soup. he also said that i need to do more waterchanges.
in the middle of a 10 gallon water change right now.

salinity 1.026
pH 8.0
alk 10
calcium 1150 (i have no idea how it got that high?)
magnesium 1650 mgh
phosphate .25
ammonia 0
nitrate 0
nitrite 0

Last edited:
alk is obv low, Ca is off the charts high.

If you end up needing more water, get in touch.

I have RODI....

I Thank JayM for the help, i will be doing a 15 gallon per day until i get this all stable.
I have been dosing alk and ph buffer witch i think raised the ca?
If things turn out worse it will be a opportunity to set up the 75 gallon with a basement sump.

Last edited:
The guy at tropic isle said that my calc levels where off the charts(over 1100) and explained it as a chemical soup. he also said that i need to do more waterchanges.
in the middle of a 10 gallon water change right now.

salinity 1.026
pH 8.0
alk 10
calcium 1150 (i have no idea how it got that high?)
magnesium 1650 mgh
phosphate .25
ammonia 0
nitrate 0
nitrite 0
Well your nutrient levels look good, so scratch my theory.

seems kinda unrealistic to me, can calcium even be that high with that much alk? are you seeing a lot of precipitation on your heater especially?
the lower ph does correspond to a high calcium/low alk balance i beleive

Back