Stringy algae help

Kymot

BRS Member
Hi folks, my reefer 250 about 8 months old started to have cyano about a week ago and did chemiclean treatment and did a 20% water change and it got rid of it and everything was okay. But now i’m getting this stringy brown looking algae all over that are harassing the corals. I only have a couple of easy sps (digis, birdsnest, slimer), toadstool and a couple of gonis. I thought it would be dino but the parameters seems right
Po4: 0.11 (Hanna)
Nitrate: 10 (Salifert)
Alk: 9.2 (Hanna)
The sps are also showing sign that they arent doing well, not really sure why? Would love some thought from more experience reefer. Attached a couple of pictures

BA459A0F-BC0A-4F2D-91CD-1ACD5186981F.jpeg

Attachments

• 3F994435-7B0C-4064-AEF9-B35D11A4812C.jpeg
    3F994435-7B0C-4064-AEF9-B35D11A4812C.jpeg
    188 KB · Views: 99
@PSU4ME that what i thought as well, but i thought dino typically happened when parameters at 0 for nitrate and phosphate while it's not. Maybe there're many kind of dinos?

There are MANY kinds of dinoflagellates. Some common ones that get out of control in reef tanks, do you have access to a microscope? Def looks like Dinos to me but knowing which type you have can help.

I had them show up twice after fluconazole treatment so maybe the chemiclean cleared out beneficial microbes a bit too much and let Dinos get the upper hand?

UV can help, bacterial dosing, siphoning the Dinos, and getting more microbial diversity to take over the same ecological niche.

I don’t think you need to start over but you gotta knock it out. Try a 3 day black out and get some new bacteria is there (microbacter 7 etc). Suck out as much of it as you can. Maybe a care package from indo pacific sea farm. It’s beatable. A scope to confirm the strain is also helpful.

Found this kicking around the interwebs.

Attachments

• DinoflagellateID12_12_2019.pdf
    730.8 KB · Views: 92
Back