Sunpod HQI vs. Aquatinics T5

Andy O

Non-member
I am looking at fixtures for a 40 breeder frag tank and these are 2 that I am looking at. It would be predominently SPS and I plan to use egg crate on pvc legs so that I can get certain corals closer to the light.

The first is the sunpod (2 x 150 HQI). It is $382 at F&S and I also have a $150 credit so it would only cost me about $230 plus shipping.
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Product/Prod_Display.cfm?pcatid=13975&N=2004+113352

The other is the aquatinics t5 which is $270 plus I would guess approximately $100 for 5 bulbs plus shipping so I am looking at close to $400. They are also back ordered on this fixture for about 3 to 4 weeks. http://aquactinics.com/Store/T5_HO_Lighting_Systems.htm

I don't think that I would be hanging the fixture and will probaly mount on legs directly on the tank.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

If you want to grow frags as fast as possible, get the halide.

Well the T5 fixture will use about 30 watts less. The bulbs on a T5 don't have to be changed as frequently as the halide. You could theoretically need to change the haslide bulbs almost 2 times before you change your T5 bulbs....What will you use for actinic coloration with the MH? If you want to optimize growth you probably would need to use 10K bulbs....So there are some other factors involved. Be a hard decision.

The 14K bulb in Sunpod does not provide high PAR value for use on frag tank. It is heavy in purple color (like it or hate it). May I suggest a 250w HQI AquaMedic pendant (I think it is on sale on Dr F&S)?

Will the aquamedic provide the same amount of tank coverage as teh sunpod or would the sunpod be better if I were using differend DE bulbs?

I wasn't planning on using actinic on frag tank, just what the MH provided -- can I get away with this?

Go with the 2x150 for $382, that gives you the most bang for your buck. A 40 breeder is only 16" deep, no need for 250 watt at the height of the Sunpod and the depth of the water. Change bulbs to 10k and grow away. It is a frag grow out tank not a display tank right? You right looking for production not display. After the production is done and quickly may I add, put them in the dislay to see how pretty they are.

To get 2 good 150w 10K bulb (such as AB, BLV etc) will run you another $150. That make the Sunpod about $530 total. The legs of Sunpod is vey short and make it hard to get in and out of the frag tank (which you need to do very often).

If you go with a 250w AquaMedic pendant at 15 inch above the water surface, you get very good coverage and strag light plus big clearance to get in and out of the tank.

For example, Ryan Kitchen used to have a 30 gallon breeder as a frag tank and he used a 250w AquaMedic Pendant. The result is great and make a perfect frag tank. The total cost of the light with a great 10K AB bulb is $265.

If you do the math and actually run frag tanks before, you will understand what I am saying;) . Thanks

2x150 but go with a 30 breeder instead.keep in mind the 150 bulbs are alittle cheeper to buy also. there's no way you can go wrong with this set up. there is no substitute for mh......................

I vote t5 myself. I have a 6x39w 36" T5 Tek fixture over my 40g breeder SPS frag tank and I have great growth and coloration. The t5 bulbs last 18 months, and the electricity usuage is less than halides. Most people look at the wattage rating and assume they are comparable, but the startup amperage on halide ballasts are a huge spike. The best thing about t5s is that there is no heat from them. I used to have to fight temperature swings on my 120g with halides. I no longer have to worry on my 40g, even though it is 1/3 the volume and only 18" deep. The only thing I miss about halides is the lack of "shimmer".

Reportedly the aquatinic fixtures are even better than the Tek fixture because they have betetr ballasts and reflectors and are also fan cooled, which extends the life of the ballasts and bulbs because they run more efficiently. For a 40g breeder this is plenty of light and I don't think you will be dissapointed!

2nd on the t-5's I am running the aquactinics 5x54 watt fixture on my 72 bow, and I have very good growth and coloration on everything in the tank. I am overdriving 3 of the 5 bulbs with an IC660, but my tank is 22 inches deep, so I need to. At the depth of a breeder tank, you should be fine without any overdriving.

Also, because it is a frag tank, i would suggest using 2-3 GE 6500 daylight bulbs. They are dirt cheap, and they have the most par output of the t-5 bulbs available. Should give you a lot of growth

-Brian

Still having a tough time deciding. One thing that seems to be swaying me a bit is the fact that I have a $150 credit at Fosters and Smith so the MH fixture will cost me less out of pocket and they don't have a whole lot of T5 stuff that I am thrilled with.

The quality of the Current lights is crappy at best. They also get the badge for the absloute worst and most unprofessional customer service I've ever had to deal with and that's if you can get someone to pick up the phone.

On the other hand ..Tom at Aquatinics is one of the nicest most professional guys you will ever talk to in this business and his quality is top notch.

Also IMO there is no need for 2x halides over a shallow prop system

soo.... do I need to say it?

I agree with Marc on Tom at Aquatinics. I dealt with him directly when I bought my fixture, and My mother actually met him in person to pick it up, he is a great guy, and makes an awesome product. Also, he manufactures the fixtures in North Haven, CT, so it is supporting the new england economy... :)

I am sure you can find another use for the credit :D

-Brian

I agree Tom is a nice guy. I haven't even bought a fixture yet. But I have been bothering him on the phone and email with questions I have. He has been more than willing to spend time answering questions.

I ended up ordering the Aquatinics T5. Unfortunately it is out of stock so I will probably not get it until the end of the month. Looking forward to seeting up my frag tank.

GO Andy !!! Good decision, you will not regret it.

Ditto there
I know waiting stinks but,
Just think by the time you get it and go :eek: F-ing S-W-E-E-T :D
you could have already had the current and had it
fail and be getting the run around :mad:

It's a no brainer which is a better new years eve feeling
Enjoy
Marc

Back