Superglue vapor??

chadfish

BRS Member
Has anyone experienced superglue vaporizing while you work with it?

I was adding a siphon break to my ATO. Glueing a piece of rigid RO tubing to a piece of CPVC pipe (or maybe just gray pvc).

I decided to use my runny superglue, saving the gel for the frags.

All of a sudden there was a wisp of ‘smoke’ or at least my brain registered it as such, but before I could find the source, I inhaled it. And it was definitely superglue vapor. It got in my eyes and my nose. Not pleasant.

Can anyone explain what just happened? Did I cause a chemical reaction somehow? @dz6t have you heard of this before?

Thanks

Has anyone experienced superglue vaporizing while you work with it?

I was adding a siphon break to my ATO. Glueing a piece of rigid RO tubing to a piece of CPVC pipe (or maybe just gray pvc).

I decided to use my runny superglue, saving the gel for the frags.

All of a sudden there was a wisp of ‘smoke’ or at least my brain registered it as such, but before I could find the source, I inhaled it. And it was definitely superglue vapor. It got in my eyes and my nose. Not pleasant.

Can anyone explain what just happened? Did I cause a chemical reaction somehow? @dz6t have you heard of this before?

Thanks
You are most likely inhaled cyanoacrylate fumes, it can cause flu like symptoms. It is unlikely a chemical reaction happened between superglue and the pvc.

Did it touch cotton or wool? That can start an exothermic reaction…
I was using an old towel as a drop cloth… maybe that’s it. And I heard a little sizzle noise.

So the glue comes in contact with the towel, reacts exothermically, heats to the point of boiling and vaporizes ?

That’s intense, I’ll be more careful

You are most likely inhaled cyanoacrylate fumes, it can cause flu like symptoms. It is unlikely a chemical reaction happened between superglue and the pvc.
Immediately after I didn’t know what to do. My instinct was to flush my eyes with water, but then I remembered that super glue reacts with water to harden and I hesitated. I finally did do an eyewash figuring the vapor would have already reacted with the water in my eye

Back