Switching from 2 part to a calcium reactor

Reefer508

BRS Member
I've been using a ton of 2 part to maintain calcium and alkalinity, and this has started to cause a rise in salinity. I've been slowly acquiring all the parts of a CaRx and will be putting it online in the next couple of weeks. I was wondering how everyone would go about the switch. I was thinking very slow drip from reactor and watch alk and cal, then cut down on 2 part accordingly.
Or should I stop 2 part all together, crank up the reactor and adjust flow to stabilize? This seems a little risky.
This is on a 140 total gallon system, mixed reef, mostly LPS with some SPS. Bunch of hollywood stunner chalice that grows like crazy, this what I think takes up most of the alk/cal. Dosing 240ml a day of BRS soda ash and calcium chloride. Test alk everyday around the same time, steady at 9dKh. Calcium every other day, steady right around 450.
I'm also thinking the CaRx will help with other trace elements
Thanks for any input,
Happy Reefing,
Gary

If running a controller, follow this for a simple approach.

I've been using a ton of 2 part to maintain calcium and alkalinity, and this has started to cause a rise in salinity. I've been slowly acquiring all the parts of a CaRx and will be putting it online in the next couple of weeks. I was wondering how everyone would go about the switch. I was thinking very slow drip from reactor and watch alk and cal, then cut down on 2 part accordingly.
Or should I stop 2 part all together, crank up the reactor and adjust flow to stabilize? This seems a little risky.
This is on a 140 total gallon system, mixed reef, mostly LPS with some SPS. Bunch of hollywood stunner chalice that grows like crazy, this what I think takes up most of the alk/cal. Dosing 240ml a day of BRS soda ash and calcium chloride. Test alk everyday around the same time, steady at 9dKh. Calcium every other day, steady right around 450.
I'm also thinking the CaRx will help with other trace elements
Thanks for any input,
Happy Reefing,
Gary
I too am setting up a calcium reactor as we speak.

If I were you I would do as you said, start with a very slow drip from reactor while lowering your 2 part dose. Maybe cut it in half for the first day reactor is running. Then let things run for 24 hours, test and see.

I too am setting up a calcium reactor as we speak.

If I were you I would do as you said, start with a very slow drip from reactor while lowering your 2 part dose. Maybe cut it in half for the first day reactor is running. Then let things run for 24 hours, test and see.
Just watched video Paul linked. Helpful. Give it a watch.

I utilized a calculator to get me close and fine tuned from there completely switching over day one and stopping the 2 part. But this is also assuming you’re using a peristaltic doser with set effluent flow. If not I’m sure you can calculate roughly off the drop rate.

Single chamber, GEO 624, Apex controlled ph control, peristaltic feed pump. In video I watched, you start with high ph and constant flow, slowly lower ph to get what you need out of reactor. Seems like a simple and effective way to set it up.

Upcoming Events

September 15, 2024
Chris Meckley ACI
Club Meeting

Back