Tampa Bay Saltwater-Wondering if you should get this rock..?

stevel48

Non-member
The short answer is YES. get it.

I read and read richards site pouring over the testimonials and images of the rock figuring only pictures of the best of the best rock are posted on his site. I read so many good things that i ordered 13 lbs of rock for my established 10 gallon nano. My rock was shipped up from tampa at 12 noon this past thuesday and i picked it up at 4:00 here in boston. The box was bone dry and everything was triple bagged. Picking it up at Logan ariport was as easy as easy gets so dont fear airline freight.

I got it home and unboxed it and right away i could tell that it was superb rock. No die off, no smell and plenty of life. I stuck it in a cooler with a powerhead overnight to trap any unwanted critters. I nabbed 3 gorilla crabs and 4 whelks. I hate to kill anything but i knew that they would not be good animals to have in my tank so i quickly dispatched them and moved on. I did keep a nice tiny mithrax crab.

So...the ROCK...........
5 nice pieces for my nano and here is what i have on them.

cualerpa-several variaties
red algae
Sponges---orange, yellow, grey, chicken liver
Tunicates--many diff colors
Barnacles
Coraline algae--pink/purple
Sun coral
Cup Coral

I havent had it 24hrs so i know there will be plenty more to see and discover.

I am VERY VERY happy with the rock and I dont think you will find anything better than this on the web.

One interesting thing........my corals.........sps and LPS all responded to this rock by extending their polyps and tenticles far beyond anything i have seen before. they sensed the true ammount of life present here and went nuts. My nasarius and crabs were all over it all night. i dont think they slept a wink.....can't talk now...eating.

nice write up! i've been intrested in TBS rocks for a couple weeks now after i 1st heard of them, wasnt sure if its worth it but you make it sound like it sure is!

if you dont mind me askin, wat was the price for your 13lbs of rock shipped?

price

the rock was $65 and the shipping was $65. Delta cargo charges a flat fee of $65 for 0-100 lbs of cargo. so it's not a bad deal at all when you're ordering some serious poundage. You pay TBS for the rock and then when you pick it up at logan you pay there for the freight.

I'm looking forward to the pics! I wouldn't mind a piece or two if anyone wants to split an order . . . I live right next to Logan so would be more than happy to pick up :D

sounds like some really nice rock but that equals out to about $10/lb... those are some pretty expensive rocks.

Yea, the tampa rock is very good for diversity.

As mentioned, be extra careful of nusiance critters. Also FWIW, last I knew the tampa rock is a good bit more dense than a lot of other kinds of rock.

BTW, if you want, this can be moved to "vendor experiences". LMK if you would like it moved there.

jk

images

10$ a pound is ok woth me for premium rock and as you order more the price per pound becomes much less.

Attachments

• P1010164.JPG
    P1010164.JPG
    46.1 KB · Views: 204
  • P1010165.JPG
    P1010165.JPG
    42.9 KB · Views: 212
  • P1010166.JPG
    P1010166.JPG
    42.3 KB · Views: 198
  • P1010167.JPG
    P1010167.JPG