Toadstool coral thin at base

Chlorinated

Non-member
Hi everyone, i got my first toadstool coral a few months back. Has been looking good for the most part. Closed up a couple times for a week or so...shedding? Anyway, i have been noticing the stalk at the base is now thinner than the top. Doesn't seem normal to me. There is also a color difference the bottom. Is this normal or anything i need to be concerned with? It has been open for seveal weeks with no issues, but the stalk stays the same. Thanks for the advice!
59f3e64827f8c972ba68f6d930462131.jpg
dee50c781070a73b741d00961194864e.jpg

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

It also could be straining for light (I don't know where in the tank you have it) but toadstools do need a decent amount of light i think so if the turkey baster doesn't work maybe try moving to a higher light area. (This is with my limited knowledge do take this advice with a grain of salt) :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the replies guys! Been a busy few days. Will try the baster tomorrow. If that doesn't work i will try relocating it and see if that helps.

I see the algae that you are mentioning, but mine thinns where the algae or whatever it is is. I tried basting it away and no go, even tried a gental rub with my fingers and no change aside from making the coral close up. I may try moving it, but aside from it being thinner at the base, it coral opens and looks good so far as i can tell. Any other suggestions out there?

To me it doesn't look like a skin layer it looks like part of the toadstool, I'd try moving it and if that doesn't do anything probably leave it if it seems otherwise healthy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'd get more water flow around the base area, and maybe more light as they love light, but personally i think its more of a flow issue. Mine never did their best when near the sand line either. My base is probably wider then a yankee candle jar right now.

If it still opens up and looks healthy at the top, I wouldn't worry about it. I've had one for many years that always has algae on the stalk. They are very resilient, and if they aren't happy, you'll know it. Usually, they start to "melt" from the top down.

The coral seems to be happy. Has been open every day for a couple weeks now. The stalk stays the same though. It gets pretty good flow and light, it is close ro the top of my tank. I have grown sps lower in the tank so i dont think light is an issue. I may still try moving to a more "open" area and see how it does. Tha ks for all the input everyone!
d7aec671767e81ed20e98439e46516fc.jpg

Your tank looks very healthy. If the toadstool isn't happy, it will move itself. I think that is a good spot for it. :)

Thank you! I hope you are right. I have had alot of ups and downs with this tank, as i know many people do with their tanks, so i try to stay ontop of any issues i notice. Thanks for the input!

When it gets bigger, and it will, its going to take out some of the corals around it wether it be chemical warfare or blocking out the light.
That digita, probably be the first to go. Where the toad stool is now isn't going to be close to enough room longterm, unless you plan on carving it up as it grows. Just something to think about.

I got a toadstool from Dong 2 maybe 3 years ago. Probably the size of 2 to 3 inch stubby at the time. Fast forward to now, completely spread its about 2' across on the top, over a foot tall, and the base about 7 to 8 inches. They grow fast . Just some food for thought.

Thank you for the advice. I realize they grow fast, and it probably isnt going to be a long tem location. I have a pretty open spot on the right side rock work that is open, but at the size you describe i would need to trade it in. This is a 20gal, tank is only 13" tall. Im just enjoying it while i can, will trade it in when it gets to big.

Back