tropic isle

I stopped at T.I. before the last meeting and spent some time checking out their SW fish selection now that my tank is accepting new residents. Spoke to a nice/polite/out-going young man who was showing another customer what a Trigger would do to a ghost shrimp (other guy had asked how messy they were and if it would work in his tank). After looking for a bit and making some notes to research we headed out to go over to the meeting. On the way out I mentioned to red-hair girl and the old(er) woman that the BRS meeting was being held and it might get busy around 4pm when the meeting ended. Instead of just saying thanks or even ok the old(er) woman says "Great, maybe they'll even buy something." WTH?!? Couldn't tell if the comment was directed at me, or the people from the club in general. Either way I think I've just decided not to set foot in there again. This is the 2nd or 3rd time I've gotten "attitude" there; I can get that from the local LFS and not have to drive 45+ minutes for it.

I will say I have purchased many a livestock (fish) from them. The dry goods seem priced extremely high to me??? And the glooming "attitude", only resides in 2 figures in that shop as I have seen it... Some of the staff are very helpful, but not all are of dependable information as I have learned first hand. All I all, it is the closest besides a LFS chain near me and has worked well for buying fish and food.

Also, another appropriate discussion: I signed up for their discount club. Little card you swipe on key chain to get discounts. Never received a single email nor discount. I am wondering if it is my account (wrong info) or poorly managed reward system???

I asked about the discount thing when I went in after the last meeting, and Sharon told me that I could call during the week to find out how many points I have accrued, but also said that I can't trade in my points for anything, they just do some sort of discount around the holidays. She said the best way to get discounts is either through coupons on their website or to sign up for their email coupons, which you have to sign up for separately from the little card on your keychain that you swipe. I thought you were entered in both simultaneously but you aren't.

IME, this store is hit or miss - most of the time miss. But every once in a while I've seen a decent deal, had a decent conversation with a staff member, and actually seen healthy fish and tanks (instead of the dirty tanks with sick and/or dead fish that I most often see in this store). A few of the corals last weekend were decently priced too, which surprised me. I didn't buy any live stock last time I went in, but I always look. That said, this is not my first choice for a local fish store, but also not my last....

I've been to this store a couple of times, but it has always ended badly for me, Nearly every freshwater fish I purchased from this store had to be treated for Internal Parasites, or some fungal infection.

I was looking at a Single Bright Marineland LED that they had (for a QT tank) and it was obviously a return, The tabs were broken and it had the sticker that they put on for all drygoods, that shows the date the item was sold. I found the owner and asked him if the item was used and he goes "Oh no.. its new, someone decided to buy it but then didnt want it"... ok then why is the package opened and why is the sticker on there that you guys put only after the item is paid for ? I put it down and walked away.

The next time i walked in, I saw a mandarin dead and being eaten by a shrimp, I went over to one of the employees and told them this the reply i got sealed the deal for me, He said "Oh thats fine, now everyone in the tank is going to eat him now."
Never again...

I've been in there probably 6 times in last two months and had a good experience each time. The two younger guys - Nick and Zack? - have been very helpful and answered all of my questions. I go on Tuesdays or Thursdays at lunch time and there is rarely many people there so that may be the difference maker. I had a discussion with the woman owner at one point and she was very helpful as well. I mentioned that her online reviews are awful. She replied that they are aware of it and doing their best to improve their reputation. Can't fault them for trying.

I keep mainly fish no corals. I go there for the selection of clowns.They had some real perculas for $12 ea! That's cheaper than {other store}! I wound up buying some snowflake clowns for $65ea which I thought was pretty reasonable. Comparative to online pricing. I always feel their customer service is lacking basically because whenever I go in, it's bombed in there.

Removed the mention of another store per BRS VE forum rules.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've been reading all the comments on TI in this thread. I have to say, I agree with nearly all of whats written. My wife and I have seen the exact same attitudes. The older woman is flakey, the redhead is gets nasty at the drop of a hat.

I use to go there when I was a kid in the 70's. It was always the go-to place. And even today, its still packed with customers. The freshwater fish selection isnt nearly what it once was. They are loaded with cheap community fish.
I also read above that the fish they get are loaded with parasites. I cant speak for the salt water fish but the fresh water stuff comes for the same vendor as nearly all LFS purchase their stock from.

On a good note, as they run this place into the ground and they are getting old,it only means one thing....a potential store for sale in a prime area and if someone wants to run a good LFS the limits are endless

All I know is they have been in business for a very long time. I remember going there in the early eighties. I just went there this weekend and got some blue reef chromis. Nobody else stocks them. I have had just as good of luck with their fish as anyone else. I kind of like the place.

the family and i was there the other day. no one asked us if we needed help.
the wife wouldn't let me get anything because of all the fire worms in all the tanks.

110% agree

Horrible experience and way overpriced!!!!

Not be an A hole, but yeah, I absolutely agree with you, and am so glad there are more posts about horrible experiences at this place. Way over priced, and service is HORRIBLE.

BUT, only ONE positive thing to say about this place. Of the times that I have gone, there has only been ONE person that has been consistent, knowledgeable, caring, and attentive to my needs... I don't know his name, but he is the only asian person that works there. I think he may be Japanese. Don't know, I never asked. I myself am korean and can usually tell differences among ethnic groups. Anyhow, he has always been nice and great with me when I've been there.

Second BUT... This does not mean that I would like to support this place in anyway. The place rots of a lack in customer service and price. I will and always take my business elsewhere.

I've been in here quite a lot - such amazing selection of fish, though at high prices (especially inverts). That being said, fish from them have been pretty healthy for the most part. They have an awful lot of fish that are clearly marketed towards short term in-and-out reefers (hello baby triggerfish) but also a good selection of actual community-appropriate fish. Wish they had more appropriate tank sizes for some of their fish - I find myself wondering how long a copper banded butterfly sits in a 5g tank before it gets moved up to larger quarters?

Usually it is hard to get someone to help (notice?) you but today three separate people asked if I needed help. I usually have to hang around and attempt to catch someone when they finish helping someone else. I've been looking for an Ecsenius blenny for a month now and finally found one here - and they had several to choose from. Picked a tailspot and they said he has been doing very well there. The guy (Shawn I think?) also searched around in several tanks to find a small porcelain crab for me. Total always comes to more than I expect, but those online coupons help some.

I have also had the reward card and never had any e-mails or specials through it... I've given up on bothering to bring it.

Back