Trouble with rainbow monti

dcforester1

Finally enjoying my tank
I have noticed the last couple of days some white "dots" on it. I have also notice a white mark on a pc of orange cap as well.

All my parm sem ok.

Mag 1450
Calc 440
Alk 8
trates 10
Phos .001
everything else 0

I have not added anything in acouple of weeks. My tank temp was at 83.8 the other day.

I have 2 other pcs of green cap that look fine, and 2 frags of rainbow monti, and they look ok as well.

the only other thing I notice is that some of my zoos are not open fully, and some acans are not, but they usually look that way.

Sorry for the lousy pics, I have had this rainbow monti for about 4mos?

Any ideas???

TIA Derek

Attachments

• DSC00943.jpg
    DSC00943.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 176
  • DSC00944.jpg
    DSC00944.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 174
is it growth? mine puts white out at the edges when it grows....

Def not growth. The orange one I was thinking something got on it. Maybe some salt fell on it? Now the rainbow its maybe 8-9 dots on it. It did have some white growth around the edge, but this is different. Also the polyps on the face of it seem to be gone as well. Just on the section with the white spots.

Def not growth. The orange one I was thinking something got on it. Maybe some salt fell on it? Now the rainbow its maybe 8-9 dots on it. It did have some white growth around the edge, but this is different. Also the polyps on the face of it seem to be gone as well. Just on the section with the white spots.

not sure man... how's the other sps doing other than those 2?
but the frag you gave me is doing very well :) and that thing was beat up almost dead at your house lol

but the frag you gave me is doing very well :) and that thing was beat up almost dead at your house lol

If you dont like it I will give you double the money back;).

I dont get it everything else seems ok. I have had my cal reactor going for 4-5wks, and havnt dosed anything. All levels are stable, but I must be missing something. I did a WC about 10days ago.

Usually a white spot that's localized like that means something stug it.
I used to have this happen when rhodactis mushrooms grew next to my cap.
Also,a quick rise in alk will cause rtn to happen very fast with cap.I lost a nice green cap with purple rim about a year ago cause I dosed too much alk supplement.Other sps in the tank showed no sighs of problems.But the cap that was in the flow from the return pump rtn'ed.

something could have stung it or maybe it's dying? I had a purple cap that started dying in spots due to my t5's breaking and me not wanting to replace them before i upgraded my tank( thanks again for babysitting my frag Lee =P).

what sort of lighting/flow do you have over the frags?

This pc sits all by itself on alittle shelf. The only thing remotely close is a pcs of superman, and sunset monti. The flow and lights have remained the same for awhile. I guess I will have to just keep an eye on it. I am just disappointed, I got this from Greg H, and it just recently has been really growing in nice. Its not about losing it, more as to what is the cause of it?????

Since we cant get an answer on what it might be. Would it make sense to cut off the part turning white. I tried looking at night, and dont see anything(pests) eating it.

TIA Derek

Everything I keep searching on this keeps coming up with Monti Eating Nudi:eek:. I really hope this isnt the case. I havnt added any montis for awhile, but who knows maybe it could have come in on something else. I dip everything, but I know this doesnt protect from eggs. I dont know what to think/or to do. I have looked at all the info I can find, and still I am not sure. I knew this was going to happen one day.

If this is the case does anyone have any exp/ideas, on what to do, or where to start. I have a couple nice colonies that are not near the pc in question. Should I just dump this pc? I wouldnt be able to move all the pcs, because encrusting pcs couldnt be taken down.

Any suggs on what to do, or what to look for would be appreciated, and anyone with firsthand knowledge a PM would be appreciated.

TIA Derek

Dealing with monti nudi's is a lengthy process so u better check every one u have in the tank. once they reproduce and lay eggs it's 36-96 hours later that they will hatch..i had found one like 3 months ago eating my pokerstar and i haven't got any newbie's in a while so where it came from is beyond me...i found a bunch after further inspection of every monti in the tank and put them in QT...just take it from me u wanna be sure so inspect very closely they look like little piece of lint...

could you see them eating them? I have 2 more small frags close by, should they be moved? to another system, or just in the tank? I also have a big green one encrusting a rock I dont think I can get out. What did you use to kill them? I read an article by Eric Boreman? about them and couldnt understand his process. Should I just get them in my fish QT tank? I will have to get some kind of light for that.

Thanks for any help

Derek

not sure what your issue may be, however id just like to say that an area of my sunset started to go white and looked as if it was dying. i couldnt figure out what the hell was wrong with it until one night i looked over the tank with a flashlight and seen a clear anenome growing from out under where the monti was located and was stinging it. pulled it out and cut off the anemone and the sunset has fully healed.

so long story short there was a nocturnal clear looking anemone growing from under my sunset monti that was stinging it only at night. just goes to show there are plenty of variable things to occur.

I cant believe no one has had problems with these??? I ended up cutting the coral up, and just kept a small pc of it. I took out what I could and scrubbed it with a toothbrush, and dipped it.

I cannot see any eggs, or nudis anywhere. I dont know if this is even my problems, but I figured what else to do.

I have had the same thing happen in the past I wold seriously watch your flame and other fish as he may have developed a taste for coral.. Also monti nudis are very tiny when they start I was in serious denial for a long time until I removed a couple affected ones to a seperate small tank shut lights off and watched sure enough these little things were coming out to munch .. I had not added anything new to my tank in 3 months before I started noticing problems it may be that one or 2 hichhiked in and then took some time to get to an amount that did noticable damage...

Back