typical newbie question

sdexcalibur1

Fish junkie
OK I've been reading the post about anemones and I read talk about them splitting, Is that a good thing or a bad, In my inexperiance I would think it would be a good thing . Well, now you have two but somehow I don't think that's the case, can someone set me straight

my understanding is they do it for 1 ultimate reason. Reproduction.

The reproduction came come because of two things.

1) necessity
2) pleasure!
----------------------------------
1) if they aren't well, they seem to know it and splitting is a way to try to ensure survival

2) Well, I would like to think so anyway. Things reproduce naturally...if happens...the moon lights caught them just right and sparks flew! :)

So anyway, those are the two main reasons. I haven't came accross any documentation to tell how you can tell if your split due to 1 or 2.

Hope that helps a little.

Splitting isn't a bad thing...just make sure you water quality is good and keep up with water changes and they will be happy.

Some say they can force them to split by over feeding for one week. I have need seen it done but there are other posts about it.

Also reefcentral has a good forumn on anemones.

Anthony Calfo talks about splitting 'em with a razor to force the asexual reproduction. I wouldn't recommend it for anyone less than advanced, though.

BTA splits are frequently induced by stress, this may lead to wondering if splitting is a bad thing. I believe that they can also split because they feel like it when theyre happy. Mine have only split following a stress event (temp spike once, lg water change once). They can also reproduce sexually.

Splitting is great because you get free clones, bad because it often indicates that something went wrong somewhere (stressor).

Back