Tyree corals: did anyone else get this coral?

Kim

Non-member
Acropora sp. Staghorn Pinkish from Ponape

Mine got red bugs and the color has never come back. :( Mine is near the top of my tank under 10k AB, 250 DE.

I had red bugs and heat issues this summer, plus some summer negligence and things are just getting back into the groove again but the coral just isn't doing well and never has really.

It has encrusted but its growing very slowly and the polyps on the bottom where it has encrusted are green. The polyps on the rest of the coral are barely visible. For all purposes its bleached but alive and been this way for a long time.

Questions:

If you have it and its doing well, where'd you place in your tank?

And if its doing well, can I have a frag so I can try again.

Thanks,

Kim

Might want to try less light. many acro's color up under bright light a fair amount of them do better under moderate lighting. Espically after a tramatic event, like bleaching, heat shock or something like that, acros seem to benifit from a "breaif respite" from the bright lights. I always shade any bleached or stressed acro untill I se evidence of recovery - then I slowly reacclimate it to bright light.

Just my experience

Moe - I did treat for the red bugs but not the full treatment. I believe I did 2 treatments not 3. I had 2 corals get hit with red bugs that one and a colony from the NY trip. I lost the colony and this frag remains. I see no evidence now of the bugs on any of my corals. But if I get the coral off the rock, then I will take a close look at it to make sure. But I was able to see the bugs before on this piece without any magnafication, but you never know.

Jake- It is on a small piece of shell so I may still be able to get the shell and the frag off the rock. I'll take a look. If I can't get the shell off without damaging the coral more, would placing a small tupperware bowl of some sort over the top help for shade? Or maybe a strawberry container?

Kim

Could possibly help. Taking some nylon screening and placing it strategically above the frag might give it a chance to get its "Feet back under it" so to speak.

I was looking at it again just now closely and the frag is showing some polyp extension besides the bottom no but the polyps are purple/white(much harder to see), the bottom polyps are green..weird.

Anyway I'll try the screen and I'll let you know how it goes.

Kim, I think I have a frag of the same pink stag acro. My frag browned out after a couple of weeks and only recently has started to get pink tips again. It is a slow grower so I'm not quite sure I'm ready to frag it at this point. I recently moved it to a slightly higher position with more flow and it seems to like it. The pink corals that I have seem to really need to be up high to keep their color. Get in touch with me in a couple of months and hopefullyI will be able to frag a piece for you.

Back