Using home automation server to control flooding?

mloebl

Non-member
Ok, so I've been toying with this idea for a little while as I use Homeseer to monitor/control different actions around my house. Right now I can monitor the tank temperature over the web (cost me $10 in parts), control the MH and VHO lighting, etc... But was thinking about using some float switches to detect hi/low water levels similair to auto-top off, however if it detects for example the tank level gets to high (ie overflow is clogged) it would close a valve and shut off pumps in the sump, or vice-versa shut off pump before running dry, etc. The monitoring water levels and turning the pumps on and off is pretty easy and again pretty cheap, but have been trying to figure out a way to automatically shut off water thru a control valve when not home in case an emergency arrises. Anyone know how well the plastic sprinkler control valves would work for this application? A lot of these take a simple normally closed to shut them off, fairly ruggedized as well as non-corrosive... was thinking one of those in line with the overflow, so if the tank level raises too high, it would close the valve from the overflow, as well as shut off power to the sump pump... Or would simply turning off the sump pump be sufficient?

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

-Mike

Back