using red slime remover & uv sterlizer + garlic

SharkLover

T5 LPS
Is it safe to use all 3? My tank has cyano, and I was preparing to use red slime since i'm seeing that my chaeto is finally managing to keep nutrients under control and the red slime is deminishing slowly. Do i have to turn my uv sterilizer off if i dose red slimer remover and garlic?

I know my skimmer has to be off.

"i'm seeing that my chaeto is finally managing to keep nutrients under control and the red slime is deminishing slowly"

Then why use the red slime remover?:confused:
Have patience....

Yes shut off UV sterilizer, skimmer and remove carbon. Read the directions on the red slime remover to rid your tank of the nuisance.

"i'm seeing that my chaeto is finally managing to keep nutrients under control and the red slime is deminishing slowly"

Then why use the red slime remover?:confused:
Have patience....

I wanted to just rid the tank of red slime and give the chaeto a fresh start on nutrient control.

Yes, must definitely turn off the UV if treating with red slime remover. Or any medication really.

I don't have a siphon lol. thats pretty sad. i'ma just have to stick my hand in there today. is the siphon better at this kinda stuff? i never used one b4.

Just get some rubber tubing, stick one end in the tank and the other at a lower point. Suck on the out of water end until it forms a suction and just keep it below the surface level of the water. Then it will suck up water and the stuff in it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R9sMSkNW2Ss

The slime remover won't remove the nutrients. The cyano may die back, but all the nutrients that fed it will be released into the water.

Siphinoing will remove the nutirents because they will be bound up in the cyano your sucking out.

Since you said your ref/cheato is starting to keep up with the nutrient levels, I would say your much better siphioning. That way the cyano gets removed, no nutrients are dumped back into the water, and the cheato will have a good chance of keeping up so the cyano doesn't come back, or at least not much.

Like fanagle said, any tubing will work. IME something around 1/2" ID is good. If you find it sucking up rubble and getting clogged, use your extra hand to slow the flow out of the siphion tube so it isnt' sucking hard enough to suck up any more rubble.

Thanks guys. Luckly I have 6 feet of 1/2 hose I bought a few days ago to setup my UV Sterilizer. I'll use it as a siphon since I havent set anything up with the UV. Thanks for the insight. I wasn't aware the nutrients stay trapped in the cyano and spread etc.

If you do choose to use Red Slime Remover, follow the directions to the letter.

I've used it three times in five years and it has worked great for me.

Back