Vortex DE vs pool supply type for diatom filter

dp28688

Damien (Member)
Is there any difference between the diatomaceous earth you can get at a pool supply company and the vortex box you can get at fish store? Im looking to polish one one my tanks with borrowed diatom filter and guy at work has pool and lots of DE so if i can use that save me trip out to find DE locally.

Are you planning to use it in a reef?

I have heard of folks getting diatom outbreaks due to diatomaceous(sp) earth getting into their systems when using these type of filter.

was planning on mainly using in seahorse tank, got green water cause of algae bloom i think. But was concitering maybe on reef too but if its bad i wont.

A filter sock may do the job for you if you can incorporate it somewhere.
If not i think the magnum hang on filters are pretty useful for water polishing.

I didnt think there would be two diatom posts in the same day! Like I said in the last one if you use it you could be introducing silicates back into the aquarium b/c of the composition of the DE. Also why is there an algae bloom? I'd find the source myself and treat that.

I use a diatom filter often and have not noticed a diatom algae problem. Did I read somewhere that Randy doses silicate in his tank?

Back