water Evaperation problem

oncebitten

Non-member
I have Been having a problem, I have a 72 gallon reef tank, and using americal 250 underneath with a return pump mag drive 7 and a 500 watt heater the heater works well at keeping water temp at a constant level around 80 degrees. house is set at 69 to 70 degrees. now the problem the water is evaporating in the americal and not in the tank, should i take that heater and place in the tank itself, instead of the americal. i have never had this problem before till now. could it be that my old tank was set upon the first floor, and now the new the new tank is on the third foor. i like the 500 watt heater because it does not work so hard to keep the water at constant temp. anyone have any suggestions. thank you

Because your tank has an overflow in it, the water level will always remain at that level, right above the overflow height. Evaporation occurs from the entire system, but the water level can only drop in the return pump section of your sump. All other sections of the system have some sort of overflow which sets the water level, and water levels won't drop below the overflow because those sections are constantly fed by that return pump (directly or indirectly).

Nate

thanks, what can i do to drop the water level in the tank because it is very high almost to the top, i have a safty hole so if power goes out the water will not overflow. can i replace this part and drill the hole a little lower. or any other suggestions thanks.

The water level in your tank is set by the height of your overflow. Do you have an internal or external overflow. Does it have teeth or does it just folw over the edge. do you have photos.

It's ok if the water level is very close to the top of the main tank, with the sump below. Since any water over the height of the overflow will move by gravity into the sump, there's no way the main tank can overflow, unless the drain becomes clogged (or, if you have a hang-on-back overflow, then it could lose siphon, which is a little more worth worrying about). With an internal overflow, you can lower the water level by putting more holes in the overflow, but it really isn't a problem to have the water level close to the top. If power goes out the return pump will stop, and the main tank can't overflow. Your sump on the other hand, could overflow if it doesn't have enough capacity to contain all the water in the pipes, plus the water from the main tank which will drain down to the level of an opening in the return nozzle in the tank. (To minimize this, you should drill a couple holes in the return pipe just a 1/16" below the water level in the tank).

i have a hang on filter box that syphons the water to the americal, so if i just keep adding water everyother day so the pump stays underwater in the americal, the main tank will never flowover the top? thanks

oncebitten -
You're talking about two different issues: adding water is one - overflowing the main tank is another.

Adding water to the sump to keep the pump submerged is necessary so that your sump/pump doesn't run dry, and so that the fresh water that evaporates from your tank every day is replaced by more fresh water - keeping the salinity level in check. The sump's water level can vary, even though the tank water level stays (or should stay) consistent. Add fresh water to your sump to keep your salinity level on target, and to keep your pump submerged so that it can circulate water to your tank. A good trick is to get your salinity where you want it, and find a safe level for your particular pump (so it isn't sucking air)... then place a piece of tape on the outside of your sump. Just a glance at that tape, and the water level... will tell you whether you're within your pre-measured, known safe range.

Second issue -
The level of water in your tank is close to the top, which it should be. As long as the 'teeth' in your overflow box are clean - and not blocked with crap that keeps the water from flowing freely - the tank should not overflow. If the water is not flowing freely into your overflow box... if the overflow box is always nearly empty... then your water isn't flowing well. Clean the teeth, or sponge or whatever is serving as a primary rake/filter in your overlfow box... then the water level in your tank should remain high, but safe from overflow. If everything is clear and there still isn't enough water draining down into your sump, then your return drain may be too small... i.e... too much water pumping into your tank, and not large enough of a drain opening to take it away. If that's the case... either dial back your pump some... or enlarge the size of the drain pipe.

Hope that helps.

bec

If you maintain the water level in the sump the main tank won't overflow . . . Unless the syphon, which sends water back to the sump, stops syphoning. This can happen if air gets into the U-tube. But if the overflow keeps syphoning, you won't have a problem with adding top-off water (either to the sump or the main tank - it all ends up in the same place).

Nate

It is a really good idea to turn the power off and watch what happens. Make sure your sump doesn't overflow and your display tank doesn't drain too low. Then turn the power on again and make sure that everything starts up smoothly again. Better to make a mess when you're watching than when you are out. This way you'll know how much room for extra water you need in your sump to be safe.

Yes do it in the basement! When I was adjusting my levels the basement the first time I set up a sump I think I used my shop vac as much as a pal to pour water in!

Back