What advice do you wish you was given when you first started reef keeping?

27 years ago when i first started. Someone should of said. Stick with freshwater its Cheaper !

"Saltwater is kind of a lot of work because you have to take the rocks out and bleach them every month or so to keep the tank looking natural."

"Saltwater is kind of a lot of work because you have to take the rocks out and bleach them every month or so to keep the tank looking natural."

I wish I had been given the correct advice the first time I've only been bleaching every six months.

Jim

If bleaching your rocks is cool, consider me miles davis.

jGb0hoM.jpg

KISS. Keep it simple...stupid. There is sooooo much junk you don't need. UV, ozone, crazy supplements, fancy controllers, moonlight simulators, expensive salt mixes, expensive live rock, fancy sumps, fancy filters (anyone remember wet/dry filter systems!?). What you DO need: redundant main recirculation pumps and a backup power source (UPS) that can power your main pump should you loose power.

Also, plan do deal with salt creep, jumping fish, and equipment failures due to calcium carbonate precipitation. If possible plumb your system so the sump is one floor down. Minimize anything mechanical that can fail if critters with calcium carbonate skeletons decide to build their shells in it.

Be wary of any new equipment. The first models are almost always bad and will fail. Ask old timers the brand and models of equipment that works. I think I still have some Hagen powerheads running that are ~18 years old, likewise for some Eheim pumps.

Back