Ann. What could this Bill do to our hobby?

Cpage101

Current BRS Vice President
Officer
BRS Member

Maybe give us accountability???? We get scares like this ALL the time....yet we keep doing the horrendous import and animal practices. Well we keep doing what we are doing we are gonna keep getting this..........We need to change there maybe needs to be progress made in aquaculture. And I know there is NOW.......But it seems like its a little to late....The oceans are pretty pillaged and polluted....Changes to all industries need to be made. People keeping snakes inn electric shoe boxes and what not.....Like come on

It has nothing to do with coral this time, because it is a white list instead of black list, if certain type of coral do not make it on the white list, it is banned by default.

There are only about 20 ish species of coral in aquarium trade ( there are thousands of color morph of the same species and 2 million names for the same corals), if someone who write the list pay some attention, it is not hard to include these 20 something species of coral on the list.
Currently, Fiji, Tonga, Hawaii and Australia are gone already, Indo is limping, so we can’t get any worse than now, well, by looking at the bright size.

Maybe give us accountability???? We get scares like this ALL the time....yet we keep doing the horrendous import and animal practices. Well we keep doing what we are doing we are gonna keep getting this..........We need to change there maybe needs to be progress made in aquaculture. And I know there is NOW.......But it seems like its a little to late....The oceans are pretty pillaged and polluted....Changes to all industries need to be made. People keeping snakes inn electric shoe boxes and what not.....Like come on
IMO I disagree with some of your points, the aquarium trade hardly affects the oceans but acidification, pollution, fishing , global warming…
Affect reefs a lot more but you don’t see anyone not shipping America’s trash on a ship to Indonesia or make the rest of the world more efficient with carbon emissions. It’s just easier to make ourselves look better when we pick on the little guy and win than stand up to lobbyists and lose. Everything is feel good and political.

IMO I disagree with some of your points, the aquarium trade hardly affects the oceans but acidification, pollution, fishing , global warming…
Affect reefs a lot more but you don’t see anyone not shipping America’s trash on a ship to Indonesia or make the rest of the world more efficient with carbon emissions. It’s just easier to make ourselves look better when we pick on the little guy and win than stand up to lobbyists and lose. Everything is feel good and political.
Very true that since hobby trade is a tiny market compare to others, there is not much money to buy lobbyists.
In Australia, farming industry can dump fertilizer in the ocean but not allow coral to be collected as pet.

Very true that since hobby trade is a tiny market compare to others, there is not much money to buy lobbyists.
In Australia, farming industry can dump fertilizer in the ocean but not allow coral to be collected as pet.
Well that’s because of the law of infinite dilution! The ocean is so large that it doesn’t matter how much we dump into it, it’s instantaneous diluted away. /s

I wasnt talking pollution I was talking animal care and general population of wild animals. We can do better in terms of these things. Animals getting imported mostly die. Same for Reptiles and other import animals and industries. My issue is with the INDUSTRIES not the every day people. Us humans as a species can and should do better than just pillaging the animals :D. We can and should make facilities for this for the aquarium inudstry.....just my opinion. I do not like this bill....I am not a fan of one extreme or the other though. Regulation should be in place....maybe for the Exporters? Better practices maybe? I dunno how to fix it....but this industry is an animal killing one.....And its not just reefers...its all "exotics"

The most troubling part of this bill is the inability to travel cross state lines. That means if a family owns a pet that is not on the white list, (all boil down to what animals are on the white list), despite they legally own this pet in a state they reside in, and legal to own in the state they are moving to, they can’t take their pet with them.

This bill is not targeting endangered species or treatment of animal, in plain words, it is targeting animals that can potentially do harm to human and the environment. Such as pet poisonous snakes. But the “white list” is the problem, if an animal is not on the white list, it is banned from importation and move across state lines by default. A coral is an animal, so if it is not on the white list, it can’t be imported nor shipped/carried across state lines. It has nothing to do with saving the coral reef, nor animal well being. It is not supposed to target corals nor fish, but coral and fish along with hobbyists could be thrown under the bus depending on the white list. I have no idea what are on the white list, where to find it nor who is responsible to compile the list.

This bill is not targeting endangered species or treatment of animal, in plain words, it is targeting animals that can potentially do harm to human and the environment. Such as pet poisonous snakes. But the “white list” is the problem, if an animal is not on the white list, it is banned from importation and move across state lines by default. A coral is an animal, so if it is not on the white list, it can’t be imported nor shipped/carried across state lines. It has nothing to do with saving the coral reef, nor animal well being. It is supposed to target corals nor fish, but coral and fish along with hobbyists could be thrown under the bus depending on the white list. I have no idea what are on the white list, where to find it nor who is responsible to compile the list.
I used to be in the reptile hobby and this bill has been a major issue for that community for some time. Make no mistake, there are people who are lobbying in support of this bill that are of the opinion that no animal should be kept as a pet. They are not surgical in their identification of what's allowed and what isn't, because if it were up to them, NOTHING would be allowed.

This bill is not targeting endangered species or treatment of animal, in plain words, it is targeting animals that can potentially do harm to human and the environment. Such as pet poisonous snakes. But the “white list” is the problem, if an animal is not on the white list, it is banned from importation and move across state lines by default. A coral is an animal, so if it is not on the white list, it can’t be imported nor shipped/carried across state lines. It has nothing to do with saving the coral reef, nor animal well being. It is not supposed to target corals nor fish, but coral and fish along with hobbyists could be thrown under the bus depending on the white list. I have no idea what are on the white list, where to find it nor who is responsible to compile the list.
I agree....this is a severe over reach bill put out by activists rather than people with an actual plan. I do not support this bill. But as I said change needs to happen in our industries....Or things like this will keep happening. But also Peta needs to calm tf down too :D. Like I said tho...go to a reptile expo and tell me how you feel looking at all the animals in soup containers waiting to be sold. Like a betta fish in a dirty azz nitrate bomb at the LFS....We walk past these animals....but we know....we KNOW thats death row right there.....How is that fair to the animals...so "Little Johnny" can have a friend in a vase??? See what I am getting at??

the department of the interior on the creator and manager of the white list.

Upcoming Events

April 21, 2024
Paul B
Club Meeting

Back