What size bulbs do I need for this hood?

namrufmot

Non-member
Got a free tank for my classroom :) A decent looking 55 gallon. The hood didnt come with any bulbs and it doesn't say anywhere on it what size/wattage to get! All I know is that it's a Perfecto hood and that I need T8....Here are some pics:

58366712.png

65688258.png

Thanks!

your bulbs

Got a free tank for my classroom :) A decent looking 55 gallon. The hood didnt come with any bulbs and it doesn't say anywhere on it what size/wattage to get! All I know is that it's a Perfecto hood and that I need T8....Here are some pics:

58366712.png

65688258.png

Thanks!

you need to measure the distance between where the bulbs go and then it also depends on what your going to use the tank for. let me know and i can tell you more.

Ok next question...Home Depot sells 4100k bulbs in this size. Would live plants do ok with that or should I order some 6500k's?

That fixture wouldn't be suitable for any kind of coral, just a fish only tank...

For 24" T8's go for something with a high kelvin and good CRI. The higher the better especially if you intend to have plants.

For the generics, I think Coralife makes a 10k T8 bulb, and Coral Sun may have them too.

I'm not sure if one bulb is adequate for plants but fine for fish only. I guess it depends on the plant.

a normal output bulb isn't going to do much for you, especially with the white reflector, but it should be enough for a 'fish tank'

Back