What's the best algea eating tang?

steevareno

BRS Member
I had a naso that didn't eat algea off the rocks and was curious to know which is best at munching the green stuff. Was thinking of a hippo for my next tang.

My hippo does pick at the rocks, but I think the Yellow Tang is more aggressive at munching algae - IMHO.

Depends how much you feed them....If you feed them a full diet of flake, frozen, and Nori, they are less likely to be an active grazer. Keep them on the healthy hungry side and you will get better results...

ditto on the rabbitfish. I've got a foxface that plowed through a LOT of hair algae I had in no time. My rock has been spotless ever since.

The Sohols are really good, problem is they get to big for any tank under 6 ft long.

I agree with Derek. My Kole's fed well with a variety of foods, and he still picks at everything he can get at.

Greg Hiller said:
The Sohols are really good, problem is they get to big for any tank under 6 ft long.

I agree, mine eats any kind of algae I've thrown at it. Some times I feel even my 7' tank is to small though. They are very active swimmers, mine swims the whole span of my tank for most of the day. My PBT seems to eat just about any algae also.

i have a kole and a unduantulated? rabbitfish, the kole love the hair algea and stuff off the glass the rabbit in 3 days took out all of the grape caleupera that i couldnt get rid off in 2 months and also a purple branching algea that ive been trying to get rid of for 4 months( no its not cyno its a purple branching form that looks like a bush without leaves.. if ya try to get rid of it every little piece that breaks off or is left behind grows to a new plant).. anyway the rabbits the first fish ive ever kept that i can say has earned 100% of his keep in less than 6 weeks.... i wouldnt give him up for anything..

How bout a Sailfin? Ther'e suppose to be good algae eaters as well.
I also have a Hippo tang who doesnt real touch much.

Back