What's the current preference for alk test kits?

Moe_K

Stabbed by Foulke
Years ago Salifert was thought of as having a very accurate alk test kit. It was not a simple one reagent kit, but a more complicated process.
People also seemed to like LaMotte. I think this was also a 2 or 3 reagent kit.

I liked Tropic Marin, mostly because it was cheap and simple. Count the drops into the tank water sample and watch for the color change. Done.
I don't even know if Tropic Marin still makes an alk test kit.

What do people like these days?

I use elos and haven't had any issues at all...

Sent from my T-Mobile myTouch Q using Tapatalk 2

I also use Elos but I've got to tell you the instructions say the color changes from cyan to yellow. I find it a very light tint of grey and it turns very light yellow. It's a little hard to read but works good if you're slow and careful.

I have to tell you,Moe.
I recently got the Red Sea Pro test kit(Ca,Mg,Alk) and I'm really impressed with it.
Definitely not like the old Red Sea kits.

I have to tell you,Moe.
I recently got the Red Sea Pro test kit(Ca,Mg,Alk) and I'm really impressed with it.
Definitely not like the old Red Sea kits.

I used the new Red Sea kits for a while. They are nice but there is a lot of complaints that the Mg and mag read high, especially the Mg. I went back to Elos when I ran out of regent.

I used the new Red Sea kits for a while. They are nice but there is a lot of complaints that the Mg and mag read high, especially the Mg. I went back to Elos when I ran out of regent.

Interesting.
My Mg. was only reading 1150 ppm with Red Sea.
I didn't have any Salifert regents left to double check it.
Bumped it up with Mg flake and epson salts.

I used Elos for Alk testing before. My alk was 8 with Elos but when I got a new salifer test kit, it was 10 with the salifer. I really don't know which one to believe. I just ordered a new set of Salifer test kits for Mag, Cal, and Alk yesterday and call it a day.

I used Elos for Alk testing before. My alk was 8 with Elos but when I got a new salifer test kit, it was 10 with the salifer. I really don't know which one to believe. I just ordered a new set of Salifer test kits for Mag, Cal, and Alk yesterday and call it a day.

I really don't think any hobby grade test kits are that acurate. I wouldn't worry about 8 or 10 dkh, I don't think it matters that much once you're above 7 dkh. I would worry if it was 4!::

I use Salifert.

The most important thing is that it ALWAYS reads the same. Either Elos or Salifert, if you test 3 times in a row and get the same number each time, then they are good. Consistency is the most important thing in this hobby.

Don't use the HANNA checker. I measured 5 times in a row and got 5 different numbers, and they were way off. The Salifert kit takes the same amount of time.

i have used them all, and i like the red sea the best. and with the new mg set you got to shake all three bottles. I too was getting low readings using red sea, but i tried giving them a shake and the reading are the same as salifert, and elos. Also the red sea has cheaper refill kits!.

Alk is the one test I run probably 10X more than any other test. I've been making my own reagent for years with a bit of Bromophenol blue and some acid. I've given a lot out over the years to club members. IMO being super accurate for alk is not that important, you just need to stay above about 8 or preferably 10 dKH.

Alk is the one test I run probably 10X more than any other test. I've been making my own reagent for years with a bit of Bromophenol blue and some acid. I've given a lot out over the years to club members. IMO being super accurate for alk is not that important, you just need to stay above about 8 or preferably 10 dKH.

Sweet. You gotta hook a brother up! :)
Maybe when I stop by to buy some frags...

Upcoming Events

June 9, 2024
Ben Johnson
Club Meeting

Back