Where to buy: Hanging wire

Intheflesh

Non-member
Over the weekend I seet up a tank in my basement, and wanted to use my ATI Powermodule. I had cut the hanging wiring and its not tall enough to reach the ceiling anymore.

Where can I buy just the wire? Its about $35 for the complete kit, and also for the AI EXT Hanging kit. But this comes with all the hardware that I don't need.

The wire appears to be Bike brake/shifter cable.... Is there a DIY option available?

I bought a used powermodule a month or so ago and thought I could just by the hanging wire at Lowes but nope not a standard size and now I have 10 feet of wire I can't use. I had an evergrow LED Light that looks like the same setup and thought sweet I'll just use the wire from that, same deal just a little too fat.
I assume all ATI will use the same size wire and ended up buying the whole kit so i could hang it.

good luck

if it's brake or derailleur cable go to your LBS ( LOCAL BIKE STORE ) and buy some. It's pretty cheap. I don't think home depot sells any cable with a bonded stop on the end of it like a brake or derailleur cable would have.

Brake cable has a bigger stop on it than a derailleur cable. Make sure you buy the right size. Just bring the cable with you to the bike store to get the right one.

rapidled sells their hanging kit, it's no different than the ATI hanging kit. same size wiring and the kit..., ten bucks

http://www.rapidled.com/y-shaped-hanging-kit/
Comes with two Y-shaped attachments
Adjustable cable length (up to 5')
Can be screwed into canopy or ceiling (mounting screws not provided)
Ideal for both pendants and mounting inside a canopy
Comes in black or silver

I bought a used powermodule a month or so ago and thought I could just by the hanging wire at Lowes but nope not a standard size and now I have 10 feet of wire I can't use. I had an evergrow LED Light that looks like the same setup and thought sweet I'll just use the wire from that, same deal just a little too fat.
I assume all ATI will use the same size wire and ended up buying the whole kit so i could hang it.

good luck
Thanks. This is the feed back I was looking for. Maybe I'll try the Rapid Grow kit to see if that works

If you can find out the wire gauge, you could indeed get it from Home Depot or Lowes. Wires only come in gauge sizes, so if the one bought is too thick, then you need a higher gauge, and vice versa.
Do note however the wire comes spooled up tight, so I would make a loop and hang something with fair weight from it for a day or so to work out the kinks.

But yeah the kits online work too and are only say $30 more money or so.

Wires from home depot / lowes don't have bonded stops on the ends ... you'd need to add a stop to keep it from slipping out of the typical 2-piece conical shaped part that attaches to the ceiling.

Wires from home depot / lowes don't have bonded stops on the ends ... you'd need to add a stop to keep it from slipping out of the typical 2-piece conical shaped part that attaches to the ceiling.
My hanging kit doesn't have a stopped at the end of the wire. There's an inner threaded cylinder that screws into the outer cylinder that somehow wedges and holds the wire in place. I could take a photo tonight. Been hanging for 3 years now with no issues. And that was the kit straight from Maxspect.

No wonder! The bullet shaped thing in the picture below is the part that holds the stopped end of a cable that I was referring to that then screws into the ceiling mount , which is the threaded cylindrical part in the bottom middle of the photo (bottom left of the bullet shaped part). The ceiling mount has a hole in it that you can put a screw through into the ceiling or beam. This way the cable fasteners are a pretty much hidden. The long thin cylinders in the photo below are similar to the part that you're describing, a one-way catch, sort of like a zip tie. You have that on the ceiling part too?

EM_Radi_Hang-650x650.jpg

What does your hanging kit look like where it attaches to the ceiling?

I have to be honest in saying that I am now 100% confused. Lmao. Let me take a photo later tonight . basically, the part with the light is an upside down Y shape that connects to a cylinder that has a single wire in it that is where height is adjusted, and that wire goes straight up to the top, and then forms a loop that is held together with a little metal block with 2 screws in it. Then the loops are attached to hooks in the ceiling. I don't have mine ceiling suspended anymore though. Mine is hanging off wall brackets.

Last edited:
you cleared it up for me. you use hooks. the hanging kits I use look seamless and screw into the ceiling. there's no hook.

You are looking for aircraft cable. We use it a lot for hanging light fixtures at work. We always get it from the electrical supply house.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Use a crimp for the stops. Always in the offshore tackle box any good tackle shop will have stuff. Won't corrode. Crimp stops, loops, whatever

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back