Which test kits

ToeKnee

Non-member
I have slowly started to get back into things after a long break and curious as to what others tend to gravitate to for ease of use and accuracy. In the past I typically stuck with red sea for everything and have tried elos,, but don't have much experience outside of that. I'd love to hear from the group as to what combinations of kits work best for you.

I use the majority of Hanna Instruments for testing dKH, Calcium and Phosphorus, Aqua Forest for Magnesium but have used Nyos, Salifert etc. Mainly due to the method that I run my system, I rely heavily on the ATI ICP that I send out roughly every 5-7 weeks.

Dong @dz6t recommended Salifert which was good enough for me. I’ve found them easy to use and read (except phosphate at very low levels). Reliable over time and across replicate measurements at the same time. $15 for ~50-100 tests pretty cheap too

depend on what you have in the tank.
if you dont keep SPS or only have just a few easy and hardy sps. Chance are you dont need to test anything other than salinity.
i usually don't test anything in my tank (beside Salinity) until i get very serious in keeping SPS

As of right now I have no corals just cycling water. So water changes should keep me in check for some time. Im leaning towards Hannah for ALK as I hear nothing but good things. It also sounds like salifert is worth looking into for other testing as needed. Thank you all for your input.

I have both the Hanna Alk and the Salifert Alk. I prefer the Salifert. It’s just quicker, easier, and something about titration that just makes me feel more confident about the results. With Hanna, I’m always unsure if I used all the powder in the packet or if my cuvette is scratched.

gotta love the digital readout tho

As of right now I have no corals just cycling water. So water changes should keep me in check for some time. Im leaning towards Hannah for ALK as I hear nothing but good things. It also sounds like salifert is worth looking into for other testing as needed. Thank you all for your input.
Just keep the alk reagent in the refrigerator. It will slowly drop off if you don't. I learned the hard way. Love the tester but keep it cold!

Back