Who's coming to dinner? Amphipod, right?

Scott

Non-member
I was sitting, staring, watching for the bristle/eunice worm mentioned in a previous thread when I caught a glimpse of something tiny swimming VERY fast. But I couldn't track it down.

It seems that the above worm has mortally wounded a turbo snail as it's attracting the attention of scavengers. The worm will work it's way over to it, though it's a little too far for comfort now.

The peppermint shrimp was fighting with it, trying to pull it out of its shell. I mean really pulling. It finally gave up, but I think managed to have a nice meal.

Finally, I discovered what I think I saw swimming around earlier and caught some pics.

It's an amphipod, right? This thing is pretty big, maybe a quarter inch. Also note in the first picture a tiny one going at the other side of the snail's "door", down at 5 o'clock.

Poor snail is having a rough go!

BTW, I'm doing all this watching under a red LED with all other lights off. The camera flash of course lights it all up.

Attachments

• invert1.jpg
    invert1.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 138
  • invert2.jpg
    invert2.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 138
  • invert3.jpg
    invert3.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 135
wow that does look like an amphipod and a very big one. I had a Bunch of huge copepods and amphipods like that and then I borrowed a fish for a few weeks who ate all the pods in the tank. Now my Pods are coming back and they are huge as well. Good luck with your snails!

Back