Wife wanted a jaw fish...

Jets33

Non-member
So about 3 months ago we got a jaw fish. Lasted a night , never saw him again . I'm guessing he died and the CUC got him. Then a month later tried again , he lasted a night. To never see him again. So Friday I came across another , yes I got him. He has lasted all weekend. He didn't borrow but he did have a nice spot in the front under a rock. Perfect. This morning , nowhere to be found. Then I found him in the overflow alive. So I went out to get some more crushed coral , put it where he had been all morning amongst other places. I have a 75 gal reef , with 2 clowns , scissor Benny, hippo tang. I've tried just about everything. If anyone has any ideas I'm game! This will be my last attempt at the jaw fish if I can't make him happy. Sorry wife.

Is the clowns or blenny harassing it?

I lost one to a watchman goby that kept chasing it and it ended up in my overflow.

Yea this will be the last one like I said. I haven't seen anyone harassing him! That's the thing. And the blenny goes to sleep has soon has the lights go out. Weird

Try keeping a moonlight on. Mine would go crazy once all the lights shut off so I started keeping the uv light at 1% and it worked.

What type of jawfish? I believe blue spots have pretty bad survival records overall. Pearly / yellow heads do better.

Do you have some rubble and/or old shells for him to construct a burrow with? Or you could maybe add just a PVC elbow for the time being so he's got a safe zone until he constructs a burrow.

Jawfish are quite difficult to keep. You need a deep sand bed of 6" or more and all of your rockwork needs to be reinforced so it will hold up when they dig a burrow underneath it.

I also had the same experience needing a night light. If I left the tank dark all night, within 3-4 days our Pearly Jawfish would freak out and tear up the entire substrate over night if it was dark.

Our Jawfish was one of our favorite fish and had a ton of personality, but was a ton of work and wrecked our tank 3-4 times. I would reconsider keeping one or make sure you have a tank prepared for them.

I've heard other stories of them needing night lights as well. I don't have a nightlight but the tank is right near a window, so there's likely at least a little residual light most times. And there's a light in the room that is on for a bit after the tank's lights are off.

My current pearly jawfish is excellent. Aside from setting up his burrow in a shallow area instead of the deep area that I went to great trouble to put in solely for a jawfish... Mine is at the front corner, and has never moved his burrow. He dug a little golfball sized hole overnight a few places the first few nights, but after the first 2 weeks or so he hasn't messed with sand anywhere except right at his burrow. He is only in his burrow overnight. He is typically hovering about 5" above the burrow, and will leave the area a pretty good distance for food (he'll go about half the tank, and to the surface).

They are really worthwhile fish once settled in. Fun personality and not scared or skittish of people at all. But until they are settled in, they are quite skittish of assertive fish. And also big jumpers. And with the wrong tankmates or inappropriate substrate, they'll never pan out.

My blue spot lasted a month or so. I think I starved him as I did not realize they need to be spot fed some pretty specific stuff. Amazing to watch but better ways to blow a Benjamin.

So last night he found a home front and center! Under the rock I put in to feed the tang sheets! Guy is happy and has already made his home. Pumped! Thanks guys

Back