Will 4 T5s overdriven be enough

this is me

I like turtles
BRS Member
Here's the scoop. The tank is 30"x24"x20" with 3" of sand bed.
I'm planning to not use the 250w DE MH and just use the 4x24w T5s overdriven by an Icecap. I'm planning to only keep LPS, anemones, and maybe a couple of softies. What I'm worrying is the Crocea Clam I have at the bottom of the tank.
T5s configuration
-2x ATI Blue Plus
-2x ATI Aquasun

Thoughts?
I'm spending less and less time on the tank lately and my sps are not very happy. And I don't want to spend too much time on the tank anymore.

I'm going to try the icecap 4 bulb retro on my 90...not sure it's enough for my plan.....

One thing I was thinking was to build a raised area with a sand bed for a clam getting it closer to the lights ('cause I really want a clam, but don't want MH lights)

Here's the scoop. The tank is 30"x24"x20" with 3" of sand bed.
I'm planning to not use the 250w DE MH and just use the 4x24w T5s overdriven by an Icecap. I'm planning to only keep LPS, anemones, and maybe a couple of softies. What I'm worrying is the Crocea Clam I have at the bottom of the tank.
T5s configuration
-2x ATI Blue Plus
-2x ATI Aquasun

Thoughts?
I'm spending less and less time on the tank lately and my sps are not very happy. And I don't want to spend too much time on the tank anymore.

how close are the T5's to the water?

Right now, it's a foot beacuse of the MH.
With just the T5s, it wil be 4" or even less. I don't have a problem with splashing.

On your size tank. 4 Ice Cap overdriven T5's is overkill. IceCaps IMO are just too much. Go with Triad ballasts instead. They are still HOT5 ballasts and won't fry your stuff or cause premature bulb wear out. And save some electricity cost too. Your clam will be fine. Still be cautious not to fry stuff even with the Triads (and they're less expensive too)Trust me on this...been there, done that. Check out reefgeek for the ballasts or a LFS if you like.

I also recommend 2 Aqua Blue Special
and 2 ATI Blue plus.

Last edited:
I'm going to try the icecap 4 bulb retro on my 90...not sure it's enough for my plan.....

One thing I was thinking was to build a raised area with a sand bed for a clam getting it closer to the lights ('cause I really want a clam, but don't want MH lights)

Running T5 bulbs on IceCaps will draw close to the same amount of electricity as MH and will also produce a lot more heat than you think due to overdriving them. Again, go with Triad ballasts, individual reflectors and good bulbs.

Nick, way...way back in the day when I started reefing (boy I sound old), I had my 90 on 4 overdriven T5 bulbs. As long as I kept the sps half way up the tank, I was ok. Some of the sps wouldn't get as bright but for the most part, they were fine...even clams on the sand. Not sure about the 30" bulb but I had 48". Might have some old pics still on this board or RC if you search. I had the same combo of ATI bulbs you are selecting.

Hell, I just ordered 2x 24w ATI aquablue and just gonna try it out.
Right now, I'm running 250w 10K MH w 4x24w acitinc& blue+ T5s in the fixture. It's way more than what I need for what I want to keep. Going to just shut off the MH in the fixture.
Another reason why I don't want to run the MH is that with only the T5 running, the fixture is cool with the internal fan and I don't need this external fan sitting on the side of my tank which ruin the look of a rimless IMO.
I just want to keep things simple now. Been running around chasing SPS for too long without the success I'm looking for.

Move the clam up at least 1/2 way and it should be OK. I would try to get the club's par meter and check par levels on both set ups. That would answer any questions you have about what you'll be able to keep.

Nick, I think it's more then enough if you're overdriving them and using ATI bulbs. I just recently switched to ATI bulbs and I noticed the addition in par from them.

I have a crocea and maxima on the bottom of my 55 with non overdriven T5's and they are growing like crazy... So IMO overdriving them isn't needed...

Can I piggyback here with the same question??

I've got a 38G (36 1/4 x 12 5/8 x 19 3/4)

I've got a 4 inch sand bed.

4 X 39 W T-5 are 5 inches above the water.

I have ricordia, xenia, anthelia, and red mushrooms that are all doing well. I have a squamosa on the sand that is doing well. I have a new crocea that for two days has been pushing off, and landing on the sand bed. Should (could) I leave it there, or put it back up on the reef. FYI - it is attached to a clam shell, so its byssal port is protected, even if kept in the sand.

What say thee... o' collective salty wisdom!?

Dave

David, if everyone is saying for my configuration, it would be enough. I don't see why it wouldn't be for you. You actually have more light than me for the T5s.

Back