Yellow tang too big for other fish?

deynon09

Mid-life Reefer
I bought a yellow tang about 3.5 - 4" or so from another reefer here and I think he is a little too big for my other fish. Here's what I have:

2.5 - 3" clown (false or true perc or oscel I don't know)
3.5 - 4" coral beauty
3" - gold head sleeper goby
1.5" blue hippo (yeah, I know, the tang police will be breaking down my door soon enough :D)

Those 4 get along really well and swim happily together. When I put the yellow tang in yesterday, he swam around a lot and was out, but all the other fish scattered and didn't come out for a while. My 2.5 - 3 inch clown which was the dominant fish is cowering in the corner, and the 1.5" blue hippo didn't come out for the rest of the day, neither did my sleeper, but the coral beauty and the tang get along pretty well.

I have a 75 with a 20 gal sump ~ 75 gal of water in the whole setup, lots of LR and space for the other fish to hide in etc... Should I give them time to get used to each other? or should I get the yellow out of there?

Should I give them time to get used to each other?
Just give them more time. Everyone will come around in time. There should be no issues with all of those fish, everyone is just suffering from the new kid on the block syndrome. :cool:

too big

I agree with more time unless the hippo is chased relentlessly and fins become tattered.

most times they learn to live together. I had a yellow assessor that got chased for 2 days by my damsel. Now they don't bother him.

Back