14G Biocube build

KristyM

Non-member
Just ordered a 14 gallon biocube, Can't wait to get it been wanting one for a long time. I want to do a reef tank with this, but I want to be able to grow lps and sps corals in it but the lighting is power compacts. Im eventually going to upgrade the lighting maybe diy some leds.I also want to put black sand in, But I am wondering how would I put cheto instead of the bioballs? If anyone has any ideas of how to do this it would help a lot. I will post pictures of my step by step journey with this tank.

as far as the fuge, i belive you would scrape off a square of the paint on the back side of the second chamber, put in the macro of choice, and drop a light behind there to shine through the back side. thats what im doing with my biocube 29 hqi. and as far as the light upgrade, you would want to do powerbrights led or stunner strips. i would make 75% of the power compacts actinicts, 25% daylight and buy like 2 powerbrights maybe the daylight ones.imo/ime that would be ideal. other people chime in on that though. and you have to remember, with black sand you are going too loose a lot of brightness in the look because none of the light is reflected on the sand bed like it would if it was white.

Hey Kristy. I also have a biocube 14. I used it for softies for about a year. Now I'm in transition converting it to a seahorse tank. It has about 20lbs of live rock. The back of the middle chamber (#2) already had the glass exposed from the factory. I bought a 12v set of leds from ebay ($5) and hooked them up to a small transformer, then encased the leds in an old 2.5" harddrive case, and taped that to the outside of the glass with black electrical tape. So the middle chamber is as follows: bottom: 6.5 ounces of Chemi-pure Elite, a ball of Chaeto(macro algae), 5-6 bioballs (they are good for copepods to hide out in), a layer of Purigen (for phosphate removal since I do not use RO water) and then the top. SOmetimes I'll put a layer of filter floss media on the very top where the water runs into chamber #2. In the far right chamber, I removed the stock carbon filter and put my heater there. The far left chamber is using the stock pump. I also recently put in an entire bottle of Tigger-pods ($20). This tank is simple, inexpensive and looks amazing. I use the stock lights for the softies (zoas, shrooms etc). Goos Luck! PM with with any questions. G

I was getting bored with my sons Nano , soi added 16 LEDs to it. I have a picture posted in the DIY section at the end of my build thread. I have a couple pc of SPS in there and they are doing great. I have a skimmer in the 1st chamber, crushed rubble in the second, and you can put a white mesh pad across the top. Its amazing how much crap it graps. I also put an ATO if the last chamber, it kind of overkill, but its fun. Good Luck with it.

Derek

thanks everyone, I have another question I want to put royal grammas in would two be ok together? also looking for a small sand sifting goby. And I have a small coral banded shrimp I am wondering can I put a cleaner shrimp in, Put them in at the same time.

Back