Daughters 14g Biocube

mpsteve

Sps connoisseur
Started a 14g Biocube for my daughter. She loves finding nemo and it holds me over while I finish getting my 120g tank ready

Started the tank 8/29 added a cocktail shrimp and a bottle of bio spira to help speed the cycle up

got her filled her up and running with a tunze 6025.

just picked up a used mp10 es today as the tunze 6025 was putting to much heat into the water

here are my numbers thus far.

also put an order in for some loc line for the return and got some better fans for the hood. I think led's are destine for this bio cube. already see a diff with the max temp just from switching to the mp10. May get a maxi jet 900 for the return pump as i hear they run a lot cooler then the stock return pumps.

Stocking plans for the tank are 2 false percs and a yellow watchman goby/tiger pistol pair. And various palys and shrooms.

Last edited:
looking good my friend. you just plan on keeping clowns in there

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

thats a good start. does the tank still have the stock lights. if it does stay closer to the green nems.

yea stay with green bta's power compacts arent that great.

heres an update. today has been two weeks so I tested the water once again and readings documented, then I did a 4g water change so I get in the habit of doing every two weeks. numbers stayed exactly the same. water was tested 1hr after water change. the mp10 got my temp in check and around 80 is what my tank stays at with lights on. and I finally got the heater to stay at 79.6 when lights are off. ph seems to be good now at 8.2 and got the salinity to 1.024 had to remove water slowly and top off with rodi. nitrites are way off the charts and nitrates keep going up and down. but my api test kit always reads max 5ppm for nitrites so I just have to wait till they start to drop.

I have had little green hairs growing on the rock and glass for a week now, and now in the past 2-3 daysI am starting to see bright red blotches forming on the rock. didnt have this in my last tank so a little stumped. other then that typical ditoms which have started to fade.

So should I do another water change tomorrow to get the nitrites to a readable level? thats what the hope was by doing the 4g change today which did not work.

Last edited:
On the left is rodi and on the right is the tank water. Yesterday it was a clear .25 today it isn't .25 but it's not zero either. Nitrates are at 20. Almost time for a couple fish.

Ok so last night I added a baby yellow watchman go by and a baby candy cane pistol ship.

acclimated him in the dark and dripped him for 1 hour then added him to the bowl with the pistol shrimp in the picture above then dripped for another 15 mins together after both where dripped alone for 1 hour in the dark. both went into tank and pistol shrimp started tuneling under the rock instantly and goby swam around. i fed some mysis shrimp and the goby ate a couple bites then hid behind the rock.

so i got home today from work and saw the goby like he is in the picture and noticed he had a bad fin. i didnt notice when i bought him yesterday because i couldnt see that side of him, and as i mentioned above i acclimated in the dark. so i called where i bought him and was told to talk to the owner to see what they could do about getting me a goby without a bad fin. so i ate supper and noticed my nassarus snails were all trying to get in the tunnel the pistol shrimp had made and i couldnt find the goby. so i lifted the rock and the goby was dead. so i searched for the pistol shrimp and he was fine. i had to get him off the bottom of the rock so i could push the rock back down to the bottem of the tank against the glass. the heater was his temp home. he is back to tunneling now and rebuilding. all other live stock is fine. i have 2 small turbo snails, 3 banded trochus snails, and 3 red leg hermits. the goby was not breathing heavy, no ich. so i tested water params and i think they are in line check chart. the picture below shows the bad fin i was talking about. it is weird because it looks like his gill area behind the fin is brownish. befor you ask there is one peice of rock in the tank ad it was added to the tank befor the sand so was on the glass, so no rock fell on him.

when i bought him from the store he was pure white and was told he would yellow up. from the above picture you can see he got yellow over night. so i thought he was doing good besides the bad fin. his spots were bright and lower fins were a nice blue. below is my water testing results. im very stumped on what happend to this guy. have never lost a fish in this hobby either so this is a first for me, owned maybe 15 fish total throughout my time in this hobby.

Got a new goby on Tuesday and he is doing great. Hoping he changes from his white color to the yellow we all like

Here is is with flash

Last edited:
Back