20g long reef/critter tank

networkfishman

Non-member
hey all,

I'm just starting a new tank for the first time and have a couple of questions? The tank has been cycling/mixing for a day or so with just the water(RO)/salt(Tropic Marin) in it. temp = 78 and all salt is dissolved. Is it ok to put DR & LR in yet? I don't have a SG/salinity tester so I'm not sure if I'll kill the sand if it's not just right. I used 10 cups of salt (1/2 c/g). What you think?

So far:
-----------
20g long
100w heater
Cascade 300 HOB filter
24" Twin Tube Fluorescent (2x 15w bulbs)
Tropic Marin Reef Salt

Rest of my supplies will be coming next week or so.

Will have:
------------
Coralife Super Skimmer Needle Wheel Protein Skimmer
Coral Sun Actinic 420 24" 17W
Ocean Sun 10,000ºK 24" 17W
(2) Deluxe Heaters 50 watt
(2) Maxi-Jet Powerhead/Pump Model 900 (230 gph)
Kalkwasser Mix 450 grams

thanks for the help/advice,
-bri

unless the tank is full to the rim, I think your SG might be a little high. some ability to measure salinity is a MUST. even a floating hydrometer if you cannot afford/acquire a refractometer yet. High salinity will hurt your LR... you needed to do a little less salt and water to make space for your rock. If you're only cooking rock at this point, it will probably be OK, but you should still get a measurment ASAP

Like Jay said.
The glass floating hydometer/thermometers are not very expensive.
You need to make sure SG is somewhere in the ballpark.

Thanks Jay/Bob! Yea, it's a new start and the rock is dead/dry rock so I think I should be ok for now. I'll have to run to the store and grab one. I did do it a little backwards, started with the tank full of water because I didn't have any where to mix the salt. As for the amount of salt I put in, I looked around online & thru the forums and most people said somewhere between 1/2 - 2/3 cup per gallon. I wanted to start off low, so I did less then a 1cup per 2 gallons. I just now tossed the live sand in and am just letting things settle for now (probably for a day or two ). I think I'll grab some of those PVC egg rack things that I see people using in their frag tanks to laydown under the rock before I put them down. This way I won't need to worry about any falling over.

I'll start to put some pics up as I go.

-bri

Last edited:
Supplies - 20g of RO, Tropic Marin Reef Salt, & Ocean Direct Caribbean Sand
supplies.gif

Empty 20g Long w/ base DR & Pumice DR
empty_rocks.gif

Last edited:
looks to me like all that shopping was done at skiptons, if it was, they also sell mixed saltwater, which is a lot easier than mixing yourself IMO (you'll need a bucket, an extra powerhead, extra heater, and hyrometer at least) its only $.50 more per gallon. specially for our smaller sized tanks and if you have no place to mix. you definitely cant mix in the tank from here on out. the salt water is exactly whats used in their systems so if your buying livestock from them your critters couldn't have an easier acclimation either.

i set up my first 12g about 5 months ago now, and i learned how to mix in the beginning and did fine, but soon discovered the ease of just buying it.

if you dont shop at skiptons find out if your place sells mixed saltwater, i think it makes a first SW tank adventure a lot easier.

Well,looks like you're on your way bri.I just recently cycled my 20L for the second time in a year.It was my first SW tank and now is my QT/hospital tank.This second time was cycled with no LR or sand.What are you planning to keep?

looks to me like all that shopping was done at skiptons, if it was, they also sell mixed saltwater, which is a lot easier than mixing yourself IMO

Actually I advised him against that (I work with Brian). I hope I didn't give him bad advice. I've been a bit out of the loop, but when Skipton's first put that mixed salt water system in they weren't mixing it to full strength seawater concentration, so you had to add salt to it anyway, which sorta defeated the "easier" point above. Maybe they mix it to NSW concentration now though. I don't know.

Anyway, tank is looking good Brian, you're off to a good start I think.

BTW, I'm still at work and I stole a pink crossover cable from the lab ... please don't shoot me! I need a ghetto network on the boat ... especially since I'm installing enginuity now ... hopefully I won't hose my car though. ;-)

--cn

I forgot to take a pic this morning but will when I get home from work. It looked a lot clearer then last night. So I'm hoping to put the DR in soon. I didn't want to put it in just yet because I want to secure the pieces together... only problem is I don't have any marine epoxy right now and petco (which is around the corner) doesn't have any and I was a bit skeptical of buy epoxy from homedepot. Any thoughts here? I might try drilling a few holes and either break a plastic coat hanger for pegs or try zip strips (can snag a bunch of the really long one from work ;) ).

looks to me like all that shopping was done at skiptons, if it was, they also sell mixed saltwater, which is a lot easier than mixing yourself IMO

yup, that was a Skipton's run! I've had good luck with their freshwater stuff so I thought I'd try some saltwater now. I thought about buying the water there, but since I have a 54g corner freshwater tank, I really didn't want to have more jugs laying around the house. I'd pretty screwed if one day I accidentally dumped a salt water jug into the fresh tank ... and that would be bad! :( But I'll probably end up eventually just buying pre-mixed.

What are you planning to keep?

Mostly critters and just see what works best for me. Not going to over load her or try anything too extravagant. But, I thing eventually, in a few years or so, I end up turning this tank into a refug or sump or something... or not! :rolleyes: Perhaps, I'll turn my 10g that is sitting underneath it into the refug/sump within a 1yr or so and upgrade to some good lighting. But for now I'm just experimenting and learning.

Last edited:
The aquamend at H.D. is fine.
It's pretty much the same thing as Marineland epoxy.
Even has the green outer part with the white inside.

Ok, cool! I just called HD to make sure they have it. Last night when I was in there looking for it, the guy I spoke to didn't have a clue what I was talking about. uggh!

-bri

Damn! I had called HD earlier and they said they had some. When I got there, they were out of stock. Will have to go o another one tomorrow after work.

Here is one possible layout I was thinking of. The rocks are base rock (white ones - not really sure of type) and pumice.

Possible Rock Layouts
rock_layout1.gif

Just wanted to show a pic of what I decided on for a small aquascape. Nothing special but it seems that I accidentally put a piece of pumice (on right) in the wrong direction then I had originally thought up (will look great when I eventually move up to a 29g ;-) ). But, this should actually work out since the hole/tunnels are more accessible and it being a little higher to the top of the water level should give a better algae growth. And since I don't have extremely great lighting and only going with normal fluorescent lighting (actinic & 10k - with will arrive next week), I'm hoping it'll be ok. Thought here?

The mid-range mark (pumice shelf - as I guess I'll call it) is at a nice level that should allow for me to place some corals that will need a bit better lighting level. Not exactly sure of the type of coral that I can keep in my mainly critter-esk tank, but figure it'll be low-to-medium level. Does anyone have any suggestions? I'm things Zoas and maybe some mushrooms. I don't want anything to hard or light restrictive.

IMG_8497.gif

Slow but steady!

Ok, figured I needed to add some update. Bought some nice live rock from our friends at Skipton's and got some good advice from Steve. I've added it and also have got everything setup so it's now time to hurry up and wait.

IMG_8508.gif

Back