20g long w/ 15g sump, Current 2x65w power compacts

SeaWolf229

Non-member
This is a first attempt at a reef tank for me. I have to say first off than you soo much to mechell in Berre for most of the equipment. I started off with just the 15. Sent her a mp about the free equipment she has. If you never been there what a place!:: I could spend hours there! lol.

Yesterday, went looking for the parts for the sump and Didnt find anything( kinda hard at 8pm) Went to Krystal Clear Aquatics and got about %99 of all the plumbing I needed. Cleaned both tanks with Water and vinager. Painted the stand. Ready for water.

Today set everything up with live sand, dead rock and 1 live rock. Got the salt in and running. My return line to the tank poped off and I know what 120v feels like now:eek:. I got to go to work soon so I just have the power head running in the tank right now with the light on. the tank looks like milk at the moment.
I will post pics when I can.

I do have a q? Any one know how to get the lense off the light so I can clean it?

Chris

Not sure what yours is like but my old current pc setup had and endcap you had to unscrew and then the plastic lense slid out.

Mine has a small plastic insert that has ridges on it that you slide out.
It looks like part of the light(black)but it's actually the end of the lense.

ok todays update. I cant seem to get the sump running the right way. making a snorring sound in the sending line. As far as the flow between the bulk head and the pump is about the same.

Here are some pics:

Attachments

• main tank.jpg
    main tank.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 444
  • Sump.jpg
    Sump.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 455
  • Bulk head 1.jpg
    Bulk head 1.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 427
  • pump.jpg
    pump.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 449
You mean the pump/return back to the tank is noisy? Noisy at the pump/sump end?

If I'd have to take a quick guess. Maybe you are sucking in air somewhere along the return line. See if you can slide the return hose down farther on the barb on the pump. All the way even. It seems like it is only one or so notches down.

I don't have any overflows setup in awhile. But are you pumping in and out?
The only pump for overflow should be in your sump. The bulkhead/overflow works by gravity alone. Otherwise you're asking for a flood.

Bulkheads notoriously make a gurgling sound when they drain.

Originally Posted by willray
Please!!!! Get a GFI for your safety and others it will save a life,you were very lucky.

am going to home depo to get one so it doesnt happen again. shuld have done it first, I know

i preffer GFCI breakers because all my electrical is behind my set up. they trip off faster then the recpticles also. just an idea depending on where you electrical plugs in and tank location

You need to vent the air in the drain line to quiet it down.
-An "external duroso" will help with this.
-Also cutting the tube so that it sits at the surface of the sump insted of being submerged, will help some.
-Finally a "reverse duroso" at the bottom will help more so that it vents the air where the water hits the sump AND it will contain the splashing and salt spray (the splashing and salt spray will start if you cut the drain tube shorter).

Here's pics of a "reverse duroso" and the parts to make one. This is to be used on the sump end of the drain, and sit at the surface of the water with the bottom submerged. You may not see in the pics, but a small hole is drilled in the PVC cap so that air can escape. For you to add something like this, you would just need to add a hose nipple on top of the 45 deg PVC fitting, then connect that to your existing drain line.

Attachments

• IMG_1914.jpg
    IMG_1914.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 417
  • IMG_1847.jpg
    IMG_1847.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 412
  • Reverse durosos.jpg
    Reverse durosos.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 440
Last edited by a moderator:
To make the "external duroso", you would;

-Attach a PVC Tee where the bulkhead comes out of the display tank. Install it with the T going into the bulkhead and one open pipe straight up and the other straight down.
-put a cap or plug on the open pipe pointing up. (drill a small hole in the top of the cap first, DO NOT CEMENT)
-connect your drain hose/line to the open pipe pointing down.

Then experiment with the size of the hole in the cap/plug until it's quiet and smooth.

Here's a link to a pic of a pair of external durosos. Just look at the parts outside the tank, the down turned elbows inside the tank do not apply to your set up.
http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z149/dawgdude1150/P1090595.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
update:

changed the intake and output.Tried to upload pics but it wont let me. used 1 inch pvc with T adapter. Runing nice and quiet.

I am having a problem with algae on my live rock big time. Looks like I have hair alagae. The tank has only been up and running for about a week and a half and is starting to cycle. I put in a pair of damsels for the cycle. I will need a cheap protien skimmer but due to an unexpected blessing I am not going to have alot of money to spend. I think the bulbs could use a change also.Thank you Jimmyj for the info and coppied the sending unit you sugested. I am gonna try to post some pics tomarrow.

updates today

Attachments

• sending unit 3.jpg
    sending unit 3.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 363
  • sump update.jpg
    sump update.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 366
  • full tank shot.jpg
    full tank shot.jpg
    24.3 KB · Views: 343
wow this set up is very simular to what i am working on, yours looks good thus far. what return pump are you running?

Back