72G Bowfront Reef Tank upgrade to 120W LEDs Tao Tronics Lights

higorc

Call me IGOR :)
I thought I might start this thread to share my experience in transitioning from T5's to LEDs.
After a lot of reading and research on this fixtures and LED lights, I decided to take the plunge to and try them out.

About 3 weeks ago I got a good deal on 2 120W Tao Tronic LED panel from another Reefer that switched to the new Dimmable units now available on eBay. Sure it would have been nice to get the dimmer function, but for the price and as my first LED fixtures I couldn't pass it up.

This is my second Reef Tank and it has been up and running for 2 months now. My first tank was a 75G with a Tek T5 - 6 Giesemann bulbs which I had really good success growing LPS, soft corals and some SPS. I thought about getting MH but never did because of the heat issue

Some of the basics about my current tank;

About 90lbs of LR, a few corals (until I am confortable adding more), my beloved matted Pair of black/white and Orange Ocellaris, about 100lbs of LS, Long spine Urchin, snails and hermits.

3 weeks ago I switched from a 216W T5 HO fixtures to the 2 120W LED panels. I have them seating right on top of the tank on some Glass Versa tops canopies. I tried raising them but the light dispersion into the room was too much (specially having a DLP projector in the living room as my TV! The Lights are extremely bright!), so I sat them down on the glass top again. As a precaution I moved all the corals as far down as I could to prevent bleaching.

At the end of the first week, I noticed that my Kriptonite Candy Cane and one of my Zoas was losing color or bleaching out. I ended up taking one of the fixtures out and cutting the whites to only 4-5 hours a day. I ran the one fixture for 1 week with the shorter daylight.

This week (3rd week) I added the second fixture and put some Bug Screen (Home Depot -$7) between the fixtures and the glass (to cut the light intensity) and started running them both. Whites at 7 hours and the Actinics at 12 hours/ day.

The Candy Cane, the Zoas, Tyre Toad, Hammer, Ricordia and Xenia are doing much better now. I will remove layer by layer of the bug screen until I have it all out.

As a summary, I am glad I got these. Of course getting the Dimmables one would be a lot easier, but if you are patient acclimating your tank (especially if you are switching from weaker lights) this work just as good. I love that there is very little heat coming out of them, and the water shimmer looks awesome! I run a small fan on top of the water for cooling just in case but I haven’t had a temp spike yet. The built in fans are not as noise as some people say. I have no problems with it.

In the pictures you will notice that some of the rocks are almost “glowing” white. I added those last, about a couple weeks ago. They were Dry Marco rocks.
If I could find a wood canopy for my tank, I would probably get it and have the lights inside, but it’s very hard to find one and expensive to have one built. So for the time being I am very happy with the way I have them setup.

I have a video I will add later today. The pictures below do no justice to how nice the colors are. Initially I was afraid the lights were gonna look too blue, but they don’t at all. They look just right to me. But that’s personal preference I guess.

IMAG1039.jpg

IMAG1038.jpg

IMAG1037.jpg

IMAG1036.jpg

any pictures of the units themselves?

I recently went to something similar and have had great results thus far, even on my SPS!

the shadows are a little off-putting for me.

I'd probably rig up some kind of canopy and put the fixtures up higher to disperse those shadows

the shadows are a little off-putting for me.

I'd probably rig up some kind of canopy and put the fixtures up higher to disperse those shadows

I know I thought about that.

But again, canopy for a 72 Bowfront is very hard to find and very expensive to have it made. You don't notice the shadows as bad when you are looking at it as you do in the pic.

I have been contemplating how to raise them and block the light from flooding the room.

If anybody has any ideas, or can build a canopy for a reasonable price let me know! (o; :cool:

It's too bad....I threw away my 72's canopy after I offered it for free in the junk yard

It's too bad....I threw away my 72's canopy after I offered it for free in the junk yard

Oh MAN!!! U killing me!!! I looked everywhere for those already! Tropic Island in Framingham wanted $350 to build me one...

I just received my Taotronic 120w LED. I put it on a 48 inch long tank and it has good spread due to its 120 degree lens.
It is quite bright but it is hard to tell the PAR value just looking at it. ReefCentral has a detail review of it recently. It almost put out twice the PAR than another LED light (also 120w, by Aquarium LED.com) reviewed. the trick is that TaoTronic has 55 LED driven at 2w each while Aquarium LED.com use 40 LED driven at 3w each.
I have the LED running for 6 hours now and it is cool to touch. The three fans on it are quiet (so far) and put out quite an air flow. I will keep you guys updated.

Yes, 1 light on a 4 foot tank, I always like to do things different.
The actinic pop is ....waooooo....
Also, I notice a strange shrimmering effect, like disco ball.

I wonder what the PAR numbers are in water. The numbers in air are good for a comparison, but how do you know what's getting through the water?

I just received my Taotronic 120w LED. I put it on a 48 inch long tank and it has good spread due to its 120 degree lens.
It is quite bright but it is hard to tell the PAR value just looking at it. ReefCentral has a detail review of it recently. It almost put out twice the PAR than another LED light (also 120w, by Aquarium LED.com) reviewed. the trick is that TaoTronic has 55 LED driven at 2w each while Aquarium LED.com use 40 LED driven at 3w each.
I have the LED running for 6 hours now and it is cool to touch. The three fans on it are quiet (so far) and put out quite an air flow. I will keep you guys updated.
::
I really want a Canopy so I can pull my off the top of the tank now!
Ur tank looks really nice with it hanging. I will be sure to post updates on how my corals do.

ps: If anybody knows where I can get a canopy or have one built for a reasonable price please let me know.

Thanks

I wonder what the PAR numbers are in water. The numbers in air are good for a comparison, but how do you know what's getting through the water?

I thought I read somewhere that light travels better in water than it does in air. That you would lose more PAR number from the fixture to the water's top than you do once it actually penetrates the water to the bottom of the tank.

I could be wrong though. So feel free to correct me.

::
I really want a Canopy so I can pull my off the top of the tank now!
Ur tank looks really nice with it hanging. I will be sure to post updates on how my corals do.

ps: If anybody knows where I can get a canopy or have one built for a reasonable price please let me know.

Thanks

Check out glasscages.com they have furniture.

Back