Above tank refugium?

APISTOBORELLI

Bass in pic swam away
Now that the canopy is done, I'm thinking of a 2.5gal. refugium to sit on the top. Any advice as to where I can get a small tank drilled? I think I only need one hole in the top. Is that correct? Any other tips?

Mark I "think"2 holes ..water in and water out?

this is the way mine was when I had it above the tank
1pump to get water into the fuge and gravity fed back to the main

2.5 gallon tanks are quite difficult to drill. There is a very good chance that you will shatter the glass when you are drilling.

well the thing is, even if you do end up getting a sucsessfull drill, the tank is going to be very delicate and prone to breaking. The slightest torque could cause a break.

Good point, any suggestions? I want the above tank so I have a steady supply of pods. I'm thinking Mandarin.

I had a 10g fuge (not above tank) that I had drilled across the street from my house. One day I bumped one of the pipes coming out from the bulkhead over flow and CRACK!!! Wasn't fun running out to find a emergency tank off of craiglist :eek: How about somthing plastic (rubbermaid container, etc.) or acrylic?

Last edited:
Mark,
I can drill the tank for you. I've done 55g's, 20g's, 10g's, and 5.5g's, and I think the 2.5 uses the same thickness glass as the 5.5.

Never broke one (I probably just jinxed myself).

LFS's have these drilled regularly so I don't think it's that big of a deal. IMO anyway...

FWIW, the 5.5's I've drilled are pretty robust even with the hole drilled in the bottom of them.

No problem. Currently I have 45mm hole saws which work for 1" bulkheads. No cost to you, just bring a couple coldy's.

Back