ACAN Casualty or Coral warfare.

ShadowACE

Non-member
We have a beautiful bright red Acan coral that has been stung by a Candycane trumpet.

I feed my Acans and other LPS at night, Cyclopseze, Oyster egg and Phytofeast. As it is still feeding I am noticing that it is wasting away on one end. I amputated the section that was dying and then gave it a 5 minute bath in Coral Vital I just looked at it and death is still consuming it (turning to goo). Any ideas?

What kind of lighting do you use?
From my experience, it was the other way around. Acan eats candy cane.

Lighting 7 hours mh 14000k mid depth in a 90 rr
Just fed again last night. We will see what happens
I use Coral Revive .

My krp ccs alway loose battle again any coral. That must be a really weak acan.

Sounds like Brown Jelly, a pathogen that commonly attacks stressed LPS Corals especially Acans. Be VERY careful that none of that "goo" drifts away and lands on other Corals orthey can be effected as well.
Where is your alk? and has it been stable lately?

Hi

In fact it is an acan that got from you Unique Aquaria during the summer. It doubled in size since I got. It is smaller but still colorful.

Just did a 35% WC yesterday. It is still eating. The gel is gone but still fading polyp by polyp.

Moved some corals around yesterday to give it some more room.

Alk is typically 7-9 using RODI water and Red Sea Coral Pro salt.

I would love to get another piece like this one.

yes watch out for the brown goop it will spread very fast and wipe other acans and LPS out

if u have a good size bioload u might want to start dosing

The Acan stopped deteriorating and looks good again. I guess the secret is to keep feeding them and hope for the best.

If its continued to deteriorate even after moving it away from the other coral then it might be getting too much light since you have it about midway up in the tank. If it starts to show new growth, then you're good, but if it continues to receed I'd move it down or to a shadier spot in the tank.

Back