Acrylic Rods drilled into LR

customclimates

Non-member
Anybody ever use acrylic rods to hold there Live Rock in unique positions? I want to extend a few pieces. How do you hold it all together? What brand would be reef safe epoxy?

take a look at the flash on my home page, for this I used 3/8" nylon thread rod, drilled and taped the acrylic base plate, then drilled each piece of rock to place it, use epoxy to make the joints "sit" nice and push some rubble rock into the epoxy that shows to make it look more natural.
Not quite as good as the thread rod but about 1/10 the cost are the plastic driveway markers at HD for $1.98.

I have tried it and it works rather well .... get a masonry drill/bit ... and aquamend (epoxy) like another suggested ... instead of acrylic rods another alternative are the plastic (pvc) rods that come with mini blinds.

You can use the rods to hold the rocks in place ... use the epoxy to hold the rods in place ... and also as bushings to steady the rocks like ...and to plug hols left behind by the rods... allows you to be very creative and is versatile.

Another point is keep in mind you may need to get them out some time ... so you may want to leave the top rock removable in case you need to get at some corals or to catch a nasty fish

Len

Very nice idea with the mini blind rods...I am off to home depot
Anybody have pics of some of the more interesting designs with the aquascape I would
love to see them. Last coat of poly is on my new 120 stand so it will only be a few days until it is ready
for water. Over the next couple I would like to commit to a scaping plan.
Thanks for the help!!!

Last edited:
I used PVC Pipe 2 prong pitch for design.. bent at handle.. or like a goal post bent at a 90 and the uprights are under the sand... i used a masonary drill and zip ties thru holes in the pvc...

thanks

IMG_0538.jpg

Back