Age old question: Over Skimming

Kman2010

Here is my predicament, I have a way overstocked 40 breeder, and I built a beautiful 40 breeder sump (currently not in use). I eventually want to upgrade to a 120g, but thats neither here or there. I would like to purchase a Reef Oct. 3000, so when I do switch tanks it will suffice. I'm afraid if I put the 3000 on my breeder system for too long (not knowing when I can/will upgrade) I might hurt my system. My mated pair of tiger wardi gobies are constantly making a mess, my clowns are getting big and producing a ton of waste. LPS, acans, favias and anemones being fed once a week generally. I dont overfeed, or feed everyday for that matter, but I would like to be able to feed everything without worrying about too much waste.
Short story long, will a Reef. Oct 3000 be too much?

I think it would be fine. You can always keep it dialed down.

" 72 gallon bow mixed reef "
" 24 gallon SPS dominant "

It won't over skim but there are two things you need to consider with a skimmer that size.
1. It may not be able to form a constant foaming head
2. I have the same skimmer and it evaporates a lot of water everyday. So make sure you keep an eye on the auto-top off.

I ended up going with the Curve 7; rated up to 240 gallon. A little more economical for my size and cost

Back