AI Prime 16HD FW Issues

Jbissell1289

the_Great_Bissell_Reef
BRS Member
I figure the bulk of the fw prime is the same as the reef prime, so I'm hoping to get some ideas as to what is going on.

The indicator led flashes green alternating with the light turning off then pulsing red. Then repeats the cycle. I cleaned the dust out. It seems to me like there might be a short somewhere. But not even sure how I would track that down.

Probably over heating make sure the fan is running if it’s not then you need to replace it. You can get the parts from AI s website

Replacing the fan has fixed this issue for me I would try replacing it they are cheap enough.

I’ve had a similar issue with my 32 Hd here’s some trouble shooting information. You reconnect or reboot it the same way you initially connected it to the app in the first place. It sounds like you may need to reconnect it to your app. Did your power go out or flicker during yesterday’s storm? If so that may have caused the disconnect.
I would reboot & reconnect it before purchasing a new fan and installing that.

One recommendation would be making sure you’ve saved your light schedule before rebooting/reconnecting.

I’ve had a similar issue with my 32 Hd here’s some trouble shooting information. You reconnect or reboot it the same way you initially connected it to the app in the first place. It sounds like you may need to reconnect it to your app. Did your power go out or flicker during yesterday’s storm? If so that may have caused the disconnect.
I would reboot & reconnect it before purchasing a new fan and installing that.

One recommendation would be making sure you’ve saved your light schedule before rebooting/reconnecting.
It hasn't been plugged in for a couple weeks as it started acting up. It was over my planted chameleon cage, so I just put some other lights on top. It won't connect to the app.

It acts like it is starting up, then not getting the power it needs, then shuts off and starts the process over again.

Iphone, I'll try reinstalling the app.
After the factory reset what color did the light blink?
Here’s a response to what sounds like an identical problem. It may need an update which is only possible if it’s connected to the app/wifi. I would not try deleting and reinstalling the app as it will reset all your settings/light schedule.

“If its a few days old then dont open it as it wont have dust in it.

The fan should spin up for a few seconds when you power the unit on from cold then turn off, if it doesnt do this the fan could be faulty.

If it does spin up try a hard reset. Power the unit off and wait for the AI logo to turn off, give it 30 seconds then hold the button in on the light and power it up. Keep your finger on the button for around 6-10 seconds and release. The status light shoul dthen flash red,blue,green. Allow the unit to boot back and go into discovery (blue/green)

Now set the unit back up as if it were new and update the frmware again.

Let me know how you get on“

From you video, the fan is bad, replace the fan may fix the problem.
I know you’ve got a lot of experience in this department, far more than me. Wouldn’t the fan spinning until the light flickers on/off indicate the fan is okay?

I think it is the fan that spins up and down causing the issue. When a fan is bad, it does that.

So why would a fan go bad within a year? The fan was new less than a year ago...
I’m curious myself..its 8 screws, maybe worth double checking the fan is completely plugged in before ordering a new one?

AI is notorious for having fantastic customer service. Maybe it’s worth your time to send them an email as well?

I know dz6t is a great source of information when it comes to resolving light issues amongst other things.

Following this thread to see what it turns out to be.

So instead of holding the button down to do a hard reset, I simply pressed the button once and it stopped with the endless routine and allowed me to update firmware and connect… seems to be working for now.
IMG_1241.jpeg

I think some debris stuck under the fan and by running the fan constantly up and down, the fan freed itself.
As AI can throw an error if the fan is not running properly.

Back