Aiptasia help needed

Barkley35

Non-member
Hi,

I'm hoping I can get some advice on the aiptasia issue in my tank. I've added Peppermint Shrimp, used Aiptasia X, and added berghia nudibranch. I only added a couple Berghia but I have not seen any improvements in the past month. I learned the hard way that Aiptasia X can spread the anemones even more. I ordered F Aiptasia as I read some positive reviews that I'm going to try next week. Is there any other options on how to get rid of the Aiptasia?

I've attached pics to show how bad its getting. I've contemplated just starting over but I'm over two years in and that just feels defeating. Certainly won't be adding any more corals without better quarantine practices if this ever gets better.

Any help is appreciated. Thank you

Attachments

• IMG_0282.jpeg
    IMG_0282.jpeg
    126.5 KB · Views: 242
  • IMG_0284.jpeg
    IMG_0284.jpeg
    153.1 KB · Views: 237
  • IMG_0285.jpeg
    IMG_0285.jpeg
    138.5 KB · Views: 224
  • IMG_0286.jpeg
    IMG_0286.jpeg
    141.3 KB · Views: 232
Since you have added the Berghias it’s now a waiting game. They will slowly chip away at the aptasia if the growth rate is less than the berghia consumption rate

@Barkley35 Is that a 92 or a 54 gallon corner tank? Depending upon the gallons and the infestation level, a couple may not do the trick. Also, hopefully you removed the peppermints as they'll eat the berghias.

Hi,

I'm hoping I can get some advice on the aiptasia issue in my tank. I've added Peppermint Shrimp, used Aiptasia X, and added berghia nudibranch. I only added a couple Berghia but I have not seen any improvements in the past month. I learned the hard way that Aiptasia X can spread the anemones even more. I ordered F Aiptasia as I read some positive reviews that I'm going to try next week. Is there any other options on how to get rid of the Aiptasia?

I've attached pics to show how bad its getting. I've contemplated just starting over but I'm over two years in and that just feels defeating. Certainly won't be adding any more corals without better quarantine practices if this ever gets better.

Any help is appreciated. Thank you
where did you find Berghia?
I've been using kalc but it doesnt get the one sinthe bak or places I cant reach so they keep coming back.

You might have a problem. You said you have peppermint shrimp in your tank. They will eat nudibranch. Some of your fish might also eat them. Just my thoughts. Hope this will help.

How about a Copperband Butterfly fish to go with Berghia? She will also eat mysis shrimps after aiptasia is gone.

I had great luck adding 9 peppermint shrimp to a 180 with a mild infestation. I can’t find an aiptasia to save my life now.

Lots of overfeeding your fish can really grow aiptasia quickly. If you have excess food or are feeding your corals heavily too, that may be a contributing factor to cut down.

Lots of overfeeding your fish can really grow aiptasia quickly. If you have excess food or are feeding your corals heavily too, that may be a contributing factor to cut down.
Thank you. I
How about a Copperband Butterfly fish to go with Berghia? She will also eat mysis shrimps after aiptasia is gone.
Thank you. I tried the Copperband but it ended up eating my coral so I had to take it out

I had a major infestation in a predator tank so couldn't use peppermint shrimp. Combining kalkwasser injection and smothering with epoxy worked. You make a saturated kalk mixture, then you prepare some Tunze coral gum epoxy. With one hand shoot the aiptasia with kalkwasser, then immediately cover it with the epoxy. After a couple weeks, some of the aiptasia will have gotten out the sides of the epoxy and just repeat. I think my son and I did it three times and it worked. After they're gone you can peal epoxy off. We got an aiptasia eating filefish and it takes care of one's we missed deep in tank, but I don't think it would take care of a major infestation. Good luck.

I had a major infestation in a predator tank so couldn't use peppermint shrimp. Combining kalkwasser injection and smothering with epoxy worked. You make a saturated kalk mixture, then you prepare some Tunze coral gum epoxy. With one hand shoot the aiptasia with kalkwasser, then immediately cover it with the epoxy. After a couple weeks, some of the aiptasia will have gotten out the sides of the epoxy and just repeat. I think my son and I did it three times and it worked. After they're gone you can peal epoxy off. We got an aiptasia eating filefish and it takes care of one's we missed deep in tank, but I don't think it would take care of a major infestation. Good luck.
Thank you Terry. I'm going to give this method a try also.

Can you find the peppermint shrimp? Lol
I can’t find mine.
[/QUOTE
I have not seen the peppermint shrimp since i put them in. I put 5 in and haven't seen any progress. Its been a few weeks. What options do i have about taking the rocks out and scraping them off.

I don’t know what to tell you. Aptaisia is one of those you kind of have to keep and eye on and live it to some extent. It’s a nuisance but it’s not actively killing anything. Yes, when they’re out of control, it’s a horrid sight but it can’t kill your corals overnight.
You can take out the rock and scrub them off but I’m not sure that will eliminate the issue forever. And that’s a lot of work on an existing mature tank like yours. And so what you have eliminate them. For how long? A week, a month, a year? Every tank will have aptaisia. It’s just a matter of time and all you can do is to have enough natural predator to control it.
I think what you have as natural predator will work but it will take time. I like to use aptaisia X or Joe’s Juice on the larger aptaisia and always have peppermint shrimps or other natural predator around to keep them in check.
FWIW, when I had my old tank with angelfish, there was not one aptaisia in the tank where The angelfish are even though the overflow box was an aptaisia farm. I see it as an extra filtration stage. :D

I agree with Nick 100%, they will happen won’t kill overnight, need natural predators which there are many.

Can you find the peppermint shrimp? Lol
I can’t find mine.
I can, but never all 9, never more than 8 at the same time.
My best luck at headcount has been in darkness with a flashlight.
They do come out more now at feeding time, now that the aiptasia are less (I can’t find one besides a honker on one of my mangrove seedlings in the Fuge.

Back