Formally toomanyfish
BRS Member
What brand would you recommend ?
How long will it last?
How many per gallon?
Thx

IMG_0562.JPG
I have 2 of these I wonder how they'd stack up against an icecap battery backup

The PennPlex one above is what I have. I use just that on my 75g (very low bioload). Thing is loud, but otherwise no complaints. I'm also on a great power grid being right next to a school and rarely lose power.

The one I linked does, it’s like 9 bucks on amazon. I knew I needed a backup but procrastinated. Now I’ll be better prepared.
Might even buy a inverter to run a heater if that happens again

Greg Hiller has an article or a good link to an article...

Pretty sure it says one per 2 ft of tank on average depth aquarium on the penn plax...

That might be the case. I have one on my 180 but I have a battery backup that will run a circulation pump for 20 hours. If Power is out for more than a couple hours I have a genny that comes out.

That might be the case. I have one on my 180 but I have a battery backup that will run a circulation pump for 20 hours. If Power is out for more than a couple hours I have a genny that comes out.
That's really the heart of the matter. A battery air pump is only going to get you so far. A generator is the best way to protect your tank over a longer shutdown. I think you can pick up a 1000watt unit for about a hundred bucks. Ocean state job lot occasionally has larger champion generators that sell for about the same price after a crazy deal rebate.

Most times there is a problem with a power outage it will a a short interuption. Probably when your not home or sleeping at 4am and only last a couple hours. O2 depletion will happen quickly (faster than fresh water) and a fish could die leading to a release of NH3 which could chain reaction. Auto start air pump and/or circulation pump battery back up is the better 1st line of defense.

I've used my genny once in 10 years.

Most times there is a problem with a power outage it will a a short interuption. Probably when your not home or sleeping at 4am and only last a couple hours. O2 depletion will happen quickly (faster than fresh water) and a fish could die leading to a release of NH3 which could chain reaction. Auto start air pump and/or circulation pump battery back up is the better 1st line of defense.

I've used my genny once in 10 years.
Definitely agree that automatic battery air pump is a great first line of defense and a whole lot easier than dragging the generator out. My point is a short-term battery fix isn't going to keep your tank from going to 50° but with everything in life you pay your money and you take your chances.

People should be aware that battery inverters are another great way (and silent) to keep your tank up and running for a long time. The power you get will be related to how many batteries you connect to them. If one goes this route please get deep cycle batteries as they are made to be completely drained where a standard battery is not and will probably not take a charge after 2 or 3 drains.

Got the pump and since it was a add on order item I grabbed some bio spheres as well :p
7B25A60F-1786-470B-8CF0-5FB7A8E3AA36.jpeg

Back