All inclusive 40 breeder Frag/quarantine

chew*

Murphy's Law
Figured I'd post a thread on a project I've been planning on for a while now. As much as my finances are strapped I still have a responsibility to my inhabitants and although I looked at doing a 12g as a challenge the reality of it is that it's to small a tank to truly give the inhabitants some freedom to roam/grow. This is also to repair if you will a problem that hindsight has brought to my attention ( that being anything that hangs on can and will cause a flood eventually )

Long story short I am building an all inclusive 40 breeder tank complete with a sump and fuge very similar to that of my fairly sucessfull 12g JBJ but on a larger scale. Pics of the project to be updated in the near future, will be picking up the tank thursday.

And when does this near future start? Its been eight days man. I cant wait to see this thing...are you gonna make me cross the street to see this thing...:p

Seems about Par for the course in the DIY section....most threads get started but never finished or dragged out foreeevvvveeeer........:p;)

Was waiting on the skimmer.........but John's slow so I grabbed a used one for now......Hopefully ronnie and I can get the acrylic work done this weekend.........last weekend I was busy..........

Saturday worked all day, sunday was a project to test out a boat..........which turned into a half a day affair to get a vehicle to take it to the launch ramp......then improperly mixxed fuel, a tow back into shore, a trip for another $30 in gas..........then 30 minutes of fishing...........then an ordeal to load the boat which apparently was due to a trailer buckling from rust........then a wheelbearing blew on the trailer on the way home.............I had to get the owner, find the bearing,nut and homied it with nails all the way home where it finally buckled in half..............which ended up being 2am monday......

Broke down a tank @ 11am in needham on monday, tranferrerd it to RI, chopped up close to 200Lbs of rock to rid it of 10,000 tulip anenomes which stung all the cuts from the prior day...chopped off massive colonies of poccilopora which were covered in tulip anenomes......almost had the tank ready and ran out of water.........ran over to miller's.........bsed for an hour........made up an excuse to leave once i was downwind of his birkenstock's :p J/K mixed up 20 gals water finally did all the check's fired the tank up and played tune the skimmer/clean the filter pads till 1am......went to work @ 8am. tuesday.

Last edited:
At the rate you are going I'll have a second frag tank setup and running by the time you get this 40 breeder going:p.

Well ronnie and I got the acrylic cut, julian came over with the dremel and helped trim out the overflows and drilled out the bulkheads, once the epoxy dries on my eggcrate surface skimmers I'll silicone the baffles in and maybe talk miller into snapping some pics.

Well ronnie and I got the acrylic cut, julian came over with the dremel and helped trim out the overflows and drilled out the bulkheads, once the epoxy dries on my eggcrate surface skimmers I'll silicone the baffles in and maybe talk miller into snapping some pics.

I might be able to do that:p....all we need for our frag tank is for my lazy a$% to build a hood, get a few holes drilled in the tank (return and drain) and some plumbing parts:D.

take it down to CRA for hole drilling, costs a little bit but the blades cost more and I don't trust my drilling skills on glass.

Part of the holdup is the fact that his skimmer delivery was delayed due to a CRS* moment by the JayM Euro-reef delivery service. :rolleyes:

*CRS=

Can't
Remember
Sh-....errr Stuff

Not without your camera...... but yes the baffles are in place just not siliconed was waiting on jay but have decided to go a different route with a much larger skimmer and some plans for the future which will require a trip to CRA to get a hole drilled for a bulk head ;). It's still going to be a frag tank but it now is destined for a bigger and brighter future.

sheesh gimme a break its fishing season, plus im an aquarius, if I do all the necessary work when i'm not in the mood it will come out half a$$ as my patience is little to none when im not in the mood. Still trying to make up my mind how far I plan on going with this which is also delaying me making any permanent changes to the tank.

Back