Dan's 40 Gallon Breeder Build

DatReefGuy

Non-member
Hey all.

This tank is currently up and running but I wanted to show you the progress pictures along the way. I've been in the hobby for 13 years currently and enjoyed most of it. Face it, we aren't always happy with the results we get and sometimes we make mistakes, but we learn from them.

I wasn't in a huge rush to build this tank so it took me about 2 years on and off to finish. I'm a very handy person so it was a super fun project and I wish I could do another! This was a COVID build and I was an essential employee in the home improvement industry so you can imagine home much time I DID NOT have! Hope you enjoy the pictures.

Built a homemade 20 gallon sump with baffles that I cut myself. Drilled the tank and installed the overflow.

IMG_0168.jpg

Drilled the tank and installed the overflow and bulkheads
IMG_0098.jpg

IMG_0100.jpg
IMG_0099.jpg

Last edited:
Built the stand out of 2x4's and used reclaimed pallet wood as a outer shell. Used a light waterbase polyurethane coating to protect and bring out the color of the aged wood a bit.

Plumbed with blue PVC and Schedule 80 fittings and added a couple of manifold valves for expansion. 1" drains and 3/4" return lines.
IMG_0029.jpg

IMG_0221.jpg

IMG_0222.jpg

Back