All zoas lost color

Gsxkid

BRS Member
All of my zoas lost there color. I have other corals that are perfectly fine but almost all zoas are discolored. My water parameters are the same and consistent. I tried turning my lights up tried turning them down. There all still there just either closed or discolored. I was using vibrant to try and clear some algae

These corals I listed all growing fast and look amazing. \/\/\/\/

I have couple different toadstool corals
Frogspawn
Hammer
2 different types of green star polyp
Green pocillopora SPS
Another green SPS not sure of name
3 different favias

the only corals effected are zoas and I have about 20 different types of zoas. I can’t understand what’s happening is there something I should be adding for them to feed or some element that I should be dosing ?

Have you tried a large water change? (50%)

My zoas looked pretty fantastic and then looked horrible for a month or two. after a tank transfer with 75%wc the zoas bounced right back.

Have you tried a large water change? (50%)

My zoas looked pretty fantastic and then looked horrible for a month or two. after a tank transfer with 75%wc the zoas bounced right back.
I have not tried a 50% change most I’m capable of doing at once is about 20% which is like 40 gallons. 50% would be 90 gallons I’ll try 2 changes and see what happens

I've heard Iodine makes a big difference in coloration and growth. Also curious on what your parameters are?

Yeah, they like dirty waters lol. I have another tank that I do not do water changes in and they’re thriving. But iodine has had record of bringing zoas back to life and giving them more colors! Idk how to test it, but I heard a drop once a week won’t hurt

I actually bought a seachem iodide/iodine test kit and I have to say that I am so spoiled by nice Hanna kits. This seachem kit is total crap by comparison.

I actually bought a seachem iodide/iodine test kit and I have to say that I am so spoiled by nice Hanna kits. This seachem kit is total crap by comparison.
I personally don’t like those Hanna test kits. Pain in the a** in my eyes. That and my god damn calcium one always turns on when I close the lid because of how tight it is to the cover .

I ordered an iodine test kit and iodine because ya know you don’t want to dose anything you can’t test for.

parameters are

Kh 10.4
Calcium 427
Mag is high right now like 1500 not intentionally

I’ll do a nitrate and phosphate test but I know they were actually super low from using vibrant. I’ve been intentionally over feeding in an attempt to bring my nitrate back up . Could possibly be why he zoas are angry and the SPS are thriving I don’t know. I should of left it alone I had algae and wanted to clear everything up

Just dose half for now .
I dose iodine once a week
And my zoas look great (knock on wood ) lol

I would like to just update this and say that I dosed iodine and I have zoas opening up that I haven’t seen in a month or more. Results are occurring within an hour of dosing it . My mind is blown . Curious to see how this goes now

I would like to just update this and say that I dosed iodine and I have zoas opening up that I haven’t seen in a month or more. Results are occurring within an hour of dosing it . My mind is blown . Curious to see how this goes now
Careful with dosing iodide though, they say it create havoc if overdosed so, keep that in mind. Maybe run a monthly of bi monthly ICP test to see current levels.

If you run carbon, you are likely to be low on iodine. One metric for activated carbon is called the “Iodine Number” which measures the amount of iodine it can adsorb. It also strips the water of iron and other metals.

Back