Any one want to build Euro-type skimmers together?

1/4 might be too thin, if you consider drilling the hole and then trimming flush with the table saw, the 3/8" matl was pretty thin towards the opening of the hole. 3/8" will give much more thickness, and just a bit more gluing area. 3/8 is a touchmore expensive, and you do have a sheet of 1/4 to use up. I bet the 1/4 would be better used for the base, the skimmate cup, etc, but the thickness works with us in the funnels at 3/8. Just me own .02

We'll stick with the 3/8. (we have enough material to go either way) Strength wise the funnel seems more than thick enough, but you make a good point about the gluing surface.

Total price, without pump is $100 for a 25-30 inch tall, 6" diameter skimmer. You can get all materials from Mcmaster.com, although some parts are cheaper at USplastic.com. Basically, you need acrylic tube for the body and collection cup, a 3" PVC union for removing the collection cup, a little 3" PVC for the neck of the skimmer, some 3/8 acrylic sheet for making tops, bottoms, and flanges, and assorted PVC fittings for connecting your pump and making a drain assembly with gate valve to regulate foam level.

Nate

Thanks Chuck. we're not drilling and tapping our flanges, using a 3" union for the connection instead, so making the simple round flanges is very quick.

Nate

Ok Matt, Ryan, Cindy, Eliot, (and anyone else who is bringing their own supplies, it's time to make some plans for this weekend. What time on Sunday do we want to do this thing? I'd vote for starting sometime mid morning, like 10. I don't think these will take a long time, but there are going to be some bottlenecks for certain steps, so best to get going early.
Also, do we want to make this an event, and do a cookout or some other easy-to-feed-many meal? If everyone wants to bring some beer, soda, snacks, food, filet mignon, etc that'd be cool. Just post what you want to bring so we can avoid having nothing but onion dip and orange fanta.

Nate

We'll be going to the grocery store tonight. What should we get? Fish seems appropriate, but not so easy. Any good ideas? Grilling?

We like foil-pouch grilling or baking fish, Cindy, but it's up to you.

by the way, I should have also mentioned Mark and Jeff, our non-building participants, in my previous post.

Nate

NateHanson said:
We like foil-pouch grilling or baking fish, Cindy, but it's up to you.

by the way, I should have also mentioned Mark and Jeff, our non-building participants, in my previous post.

Nate
Cindy here posting with Eliot's new account.

So, I count seven adults? Any other wives? how many kids? Thats a pretty big crowd to feed.

Maybe shishkabobs on the grill? Always goes well with beer. Then people can bring ingredients pre cut and everyone can stick together whatever sounds good. Then you just need one or two people to cook them all up. Fish, veggies, beef, shrimp, sausage... I think we have some of the stick thingies.

What does everyone think?

I think 10am Sunday sounds great. I also like chilli and kabobs. I'm not a big fan of eating fish, jus tlooking for me, but kabobs grilling is good because then everyone can have whatever it is they like.

Mmmm. Beef on stick.

10am at 115 East Haverhill 01841

So we've got Kabob stuff from Cindy, Mark's makin' his famous chili. Someone should probably bring a case of beer and a bottle of soda. I'll get some salad stuff, charcoal, etc, and, of course, donuts for the morning crowd. (Kind of a staple of my world). If anyone's unspoken for, you can get some snacks of some sort.

Jeff, will this work for you?

Anyone who wants to bring stuff can bring an addition to the kabobs. shrimp or kilbasa or whatever you want to skewer and grill.

NateHanson said:
Jeff, will this work for you?

Nate, works for me. I'll plan on bringing "snacks" of some sort - unless I am instructed otherwise. I don't think I'll be able to get up there at 10AM, though - I'll be coming up from Providence and probably won't be there until early afternoon. Since I'm an Associate Advisor on the project, that won't hinder progress at all.

Did you end up getting the appropriately-sized hole saws? If not, let me know and I will bring what I can (I have a variety of sizes). Also, please let me know ASAP which other tools you might be lacking so I can check my inventory.

Looking forward to meeting everyone,

Jeff

My husband has a lot of tools too. Let me know if you need anything and I can check if he has it.

Kim

I'm all set on tools, with the following exception. The 3/4 and 1" PVC for the pump input and drain are 1 1/16" and 1 5/16", respectively. I've got hole saws for 1" and 1 1/4", and I figured we could take a 32nd off of that with the dremel or something like that. If by chance someone's got slightly larger hole saws, you can bring those, but otherwise, we should be ok.

I picked up a cheapo hollow ground blade that is doing a nice job on the acrylic, but if someone has a fancier blade they want to bring, then feel free. It should be 5/8" arbor, and no larger than 10".

Edit: I missed that Nate posted his address 2 msgs above this one. Doh...

See you guys around 10.

Kim

Last edited:
Back