Anyone else having trouble with MP40??

dcforester1

Finally enjoying my tank
I have two MP40s and have been having alot of troble with them. It seems like the bearing is wearing out and causing alot of noise. I am also having a scraping noise from inside of the cover that goes on the "Wet Side". I think I might be having a problem because when I got them I adjusted the pin spacer to the smallest setting so they wouldnt fall off. By doing that I think I am causing to much force on them and causing premature failure and wear. Is anyone experiencing the same condition, and does anyone else have them as tight as they will go?

TIA derek

I only had a problem once when I soaked one in vinegar to clean; wouldn't start or spin and had to order a maintance kit. Besides that I haven't had any issues. Have you tried contacting Ecotech about the pin spacing?

FWIW, I keep my pin setting on the recommended space.

Last edited:
I talked to them last week and they said to order the maint kit. I had an extra wet side from when i had an issue last year. i rebuilt it, and it was fine. That was last week, and now the other one is acting up. So both in about 2 weeks time. They dont have any build up on them and I clean them pretty regular. I won one, and bought the second used(used very little). I wouldnt be to happy if I had paid full price for them. The amount they cost you shouldnt have any issues with them.

Yeah I've heard other people having problems when they try to adjust theirs or take them out for maintenance. After cleaning one and not having it start up, I'm a little reluctant to clean the other one. I really didn't see any difference bewteen the new maintance kit and the one I cleaned with vinegar.

Mine is running fine, but I haven't had it all that long. Have you seen the RC thread on replacing the bearings? Looks a little involved but fixes it far better than new.

Worn bearing= incorrect pin spacer setting

Is that true or is that something Bruno made up?????? Whats with the $20,000 out the window? Did your wife go on alittle shopping spree? Payback for the 90gal upgrade?;)

Is that true or is that something Bruno made up?????? Whats with the $20,000 out the window? Did your wife go on alittle shopping spree? Payback for the 90gal upgrade?;)

This info comes from Brett over at Ecotech. (I ONLY SPEAK THE TRUTH )

AHHHHHHH $20,000 If I was only a fly :rolleyes:

This info comes from Brett over at Ecotech. (I ONLY SPEAK THE TRUTH )

AHHHHHHH $20,000 If I was only a fly :rolleyes:

Im guessing that is my problem then. I had them both set to the maximum, so they wouldnt/couldnt fall off. Im going to have to order 2 rebuild kits for them.

I will have to talk to you about the $20,000 and see what that is all about.

Returned my MP10 twice for new wet sides. After second time sold on eBay for $10 less than paid for it, go figure, crazy bidder. Used a tunze 6055 on a 7091 controller for a year and now have two Koralia Evo 750s on wavemaker mode on a AC Jr controller. My headaches are now gone and I don't have to listen to that ridiculous whining noise.

......FWIW the maint. kit is a joke!.........and yeah with a 75 theres no need to have at that setting, just use the one your supposed to, imo u can even go to the next biggest one, i know when i switched from my 75 to my 37 i kept the same pin setting as the 75 which will help to protect the bearing if anything.........

......i know people have had issues with vortechs but they are really the best powerheads out there and they have the best customer service around...........and FWIW Roger from Tunze has had his outstanding rep for customer service for YEARS every reefer knows Roger, but nobody would know him if their Tunzes were working properly so lets not think that Vortechs are the only pumps that need repairs.......

Back