Anyone every seen this or done this????

wdebenedettojr

BRS Member
So a buddy of mine recently purchased a laser online to kill aiptasia among other things.

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/blog/zap-aiptasia-dead-with-laser-beams

He has used it a few times to kill the few aiptasias he had but he also used it to keep some gsp in check. He said it worked flawlessly but there are some precautions to take before shining a laser through your tank. I was just wondering if anyone on here has used this and their experience before I borrow it and go on a gsp control rampage lol.

I have no personal experience but have viewed a few videos and it looks like the laser "cooks" the aptaisia. I would rather try the mojano wand first as it looks a little safer than some crazy laser. Please share your experience if you choose to give it a try.

If you decide to go this route, just be careful with the fish ... the lasers used in this method are supposed to be pretty high powered, and can easily damage your fish or critters ... But yes, I have read a bunch about this method and it does seem to work.

Pretty creative idea regarding using this to keep the GSP in check; I'd be careful of the toxins released though if you're "frying" GSP in the tank .. definitely run carbon while doing something that "creative" :D

There was discussion about a year back to purchase one for club members use. But upon further review it was found to not be worth the expenditure based upon the reviews at that time.

There was discussion about a year back to purchase one for club members use. But upon further review it was found to not be worth the expenditure based upon the reviews at that time.

Any thoughts now about the club getting one? Seems like reviews are improving.

It is probably not the best thing for the club to lend out. It is a pretty dangerous ( yet probably the most fun) way to deal with aptasia for both the fishkeeper and the fish. Odds are someone will forget to wear the laser safety glasses and blame the club when they get blinded. On the other hand, I would totally buy one if I had the spare change.

The previous club discussion was for an Aptasia Wand, not a laser. I'm also of the opinion it's not a wise idea to get a club laser. ;)

Part of the wand discussion if I recall was that someone had one, or tried it, and it wasn't very successful.

I think it is a very dangerous way to kill pests by releasing all the toxin into the tank. It also took too long to zap a small GSP.

I agree with Dong...WAY too dangerous to do in the tank...and from my personal experience with it...it takes WA too long to do compared to the wand...or super glue....

id do the laser but I'm a pyro and like anything to do with fire... serious note theres a thread about this on reef central see if you can find that

Back