Anyone use BRS carbon Rox 0.8??

dcforester1

Finally enjoying my tank
I have been using it for about a year, and it always seems to clog my reactor/ The last time I ordered it I was going to switch to a different kind, but I didnt. after about 3weeks in a single BRS reactor it starts to just trickle out. I have it on a maxijet 900. I was thinking of hooking it up to my return, but thought a 900 would be enough to power it. Does anyone have the same issues, and how often do you change your carbon out?

TIA Derek

I've been using it for years in the BRS dual stage reactor. The first stage is the GFO, the second stage contained a bag(5microns) of ROX carbon. The pump I used is MJ1200 with a valve. I turn the valve so that the GFO is tumbling in the first stage. No clogging issue. The carbon and GFO is changed monthly.

I've been using it for years in the BRS dual stage reactor. The first stage is the GFO, the second stage contained a bag(5microns) of ROX carbon. The pump I used is MJ1200 with a valve. I turn the valve so that the GFO is tumbling in the first stage. No clogging issue. The carbon and GFO is changed monthly.

Thanks Nick, I might try it with a 1200. I have it on a single stage reactor, but it just clogs up. I originally had it where the water drains from the DT, and alot of detritus would get in it, but now its by the return section so the water should be more clean. Maybe the bigger powerhead will help.

Thanks Derek

I used to use it and had to make sure it was set loosly in the reactor and used 2 prefilter sponges.Whether it was a maxi 900 -1200 or something else eventually it still would pack itself until it trickled. Then one day I layed the reactor on it's side so gravity was not working against and it helped .....a lot.

Eventually I ended up using a bag in one of the sump chambers right at the bottom of a bafffle, good flow and no more cloging. Plus .....no electricity and no more headaches.

Also I eventually switched to the small particle lignite and had excellent results....for a lot less $.The ROX was good but IMO far overated.

Im using it and its pretty good

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk 2

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1365115666071.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1365115666071.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 210
  • uploadfromtaptalk1365115680283.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1365115680283.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 219
Thanks for all the info. Lee how long has that been running? It takes a couple weeks, and then stops. What are you using to feed the reactor?

TIA Derek

Thanks for all the info. Lee how long has that been running? It takes a couple weeks, and then stops. What are you using to feed the reactor?

TIA Derek

mj1200 and its been running for almost a week lol what do you mean by stop working? the carbon isn't suppose to grind like gfo or tumble like biopellets

Last edited:
Back